Friday 20 April 2007

One Day Blog Silence......not me!

To honour the victims of the Virginia Tech. shooting, the Blogosphere is trying to organise a day of silence on April 30th. After reading different opinions at the following links, I am leaning on the side of NOT being silent. The quote, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" by Edmund Burke, has always tugged at my sense of what is right and I'd rather act than be silent. You may find the following links of interest in making your own choice for the day - This weblog will not be silent, One Day Blog Silence and Venomous Kate's take on it. Note - You will also find some interesting comments at the bottom of their posts too.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the unexpected linkage! That quote, mutilated though it may be in my post, was what pretty much sold me on the concept of not being silent on the 30th... This, very much, seems like a time when rampant speaking-out should be the plan of action... not the implied acceptance of silence. But, then, it has always been said that I have a snap judgement...

    On a completely unrelated note, you have some fantastic artwork here... very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries on the link, linoge. I have since found the original quote and corrected it in my post as my earlier quote was somewhat condensed. Regardless, your's and my earlier quote basically said the same thing anyway.

    Thanks for your compliment on my artwork....it's much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right, being silent is not what we need. What we need is for the police etc to take verbal violence just as seriously as physical violence and not dismiss it.

    Because this is the result of ignorning it, unfortunately on such a scale that it attracts widespread attention.

    But these acts of verbal violence turn in to physical violence on a smaller scale, ever day, because the initial warnings were dismissed.

    ReplyDelete