Monday 14 May 2007

EDM Challenge # 76 - Draw some flowers

I had the most wonderful Mother's Day yesterday. We visited my Mother in the morning and had a lovely lunch together. Then, that evening, my kids took me out to the local Thai restaurant for dinner and we all enjoyed a delicious meal!!! The kids spoiled me in the gift department too. From Brad and Reece, I received a black canvas satchel to hold my sketch supplies for when I'm out and about. Beau bought me some lovely pyjamas for the oncoming winter as well as some cash for me to choose what else I would like and I'm definitely going to have fun deciding what to get with that. Aaron made me the most gorgeous Mother's Day card at school. Last but not least, Michelle and her boyfriend, Alex, bought me the book, Don't Kiss Them Goodbye by Allison Dubois, a beautifully-shaped gourmet, oil bottle which can be refilled and a lovely bunch of flowers.

Today, I decided to sketch the flowers for my EDM #76 challenge and, for the first time, I thought I would attempt a pen/biro sketch with a splash of colour using my Derwent Studio coloured pencils. I found this quite a challenge as the last time I worked with coloured pencils was way back when I was a child in school. There's definitely room for improvement but I did have fun trying something different.
Vase of flowers - A5 sketchbook - © Serena Lewis

25 comments:

  1. This a charming drawing of a very nice mother's day gift. It's nice to hear you had such a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! And a wonderful description of a great Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sketch Serena, so pleased you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really nice drawing, Serena. Sounds like you had a great Mom's day as well! As always, thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you received a lovely bunch of flowers. Very nice drawing I really like your work on the glass vase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just lovely, Serena. The reflections and transparency of the glass are beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the wonderful comments on my sketch....it's very much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful and very delicate, Serena

    ReplyDelete
  9. sweet bouquet...isnt it good to be remembered?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maggie and thank you. It certainly is nice to be remembered. My most precious gift of all was spending quality time with my kids on Mother's Day. My daughter moved out of home last year and we miss her terribly even though she visits at least once a fortnight. lol One time when Michelle was visiting, she commented to her brothers that she would never take me for granted again. I was so touched to see that she really had noticed the little things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely drawing. I like the way you made the vase. Sounds like you had a great Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank, E-J.....this was the first time I've attempted clear glass in any medium so I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. these flowrs are gorgeous as are all your drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This vase full of flowers is just wonderful! the transparency is awesome. The whole painting is just so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Alanna :)

    Thanks, Teri :)

    I value your comments ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely lovely sketch! I really love your choice of colors. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Serena,
    Hope to see more of your drawings using colour pencils. You're a natural...Ro

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like your Mother's Day was a great one. This is just beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely sketch Serena...delicate and charming and a great job on the vase!
    Ronell

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Ronell. I very much appreciate the postive feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete