Tuesday 1 May 2007

White rabbits, white rabbits, white rabbits......

My grandmother (God rest her soul) used to have this tradition where, come May 1st, the first thing she would say when she woke up that morning was "white rabbits" three times then, she would go outside and wet her hands with the morning dew on the lawn and wipe it over her face. I don't know if it stems back to Scottish traditions (yep, she was Scottish) but she swore it would bring good luck. I've never taken up the tradition myself, mainly because the last thing on my mind when I wake up on any day let alone May 1st is 'white rabbits', so I can't vouch for dear Granny's theory. My grandmother was blessed with a close and loving family who always looked out for her and, as I remember, family meant the whole world to her so maybe it worked for her. However, if anyone out there decides to test out the theory for themselves, get back to me and let me know if it worked for you. :)

On another note, I finished the Zebra art card. YES!

Zebra art card 2½"x3½" - Matisse acrylics - © Serena Lewis

I'm having so much fun with my Matisse acrylics! For this art card, I used a palette of Hookers Green, Dioxine Purple, Cadmium Yellow Mid and Titanium White. Usually for my 'blacks', I will mix Burnt Umber with either Paynes Grey or Ultramarine Blue depending on what shade of 'black' I want but, for the black tones on the zebra, I just mixed Hookers Green with Dioxine Purple. It worked quite well.

I have to teach class this morning and I should have been finished on here already so I've gotta run.

19 comments:

  1. It's not May here yet. We still have 7 1/2 hours to go.

    I LOVE lOVE LOVE that zebra!

    Seriously, it's inspiring me to paint again. I've been so bad lately.

    Oh, thanks for asking- of course you can link to me.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    Thanks, stapeliad! I'm tickled that you are inspired to paint again and I do hope that you do....soon please! I know you do beautiful work from your earlier posts.

    Consider yourself linked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful zebra! Great blacks by mixing the green and purple....thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Deborah, and you're very welcome for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband's grandfather was a Scotsman and he tells some great stories of him along this same line. :-) Your zebra is fabulous! Your work is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. phthaloblu - They certainly do have some interesting stories, that's for sure. Even my kids love to hear them. Thanks for your compliment....you've really boosted my confidence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is stunning! Welcome to EDM! And may I say it's good to see a blog with a photo and a real name - now I will remember you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, felicity! I like to know real names too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Just found your blog via the Everyday matters Yahoo Group. I love this Zebra painting! You are very talented! Can't wait to look at the rest of your blog. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to EDM Serena, have fun. You do great work.Your zebra is stunning and I also love your lilies and the clock.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much, laserone ~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous! Great design and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for you lovely compliment, Ronell ~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful art card! I've been toying with the idea of making some ATCs myself, but I'm mostly a pastellist and cannot decide what unsmudgeable medium, or combination of media, I might use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, e-j! While pastels are not my medium and I'll be the first to say I know absolutely nothing about working with them, I have used them to achieve soft background effects in some of my paintings. They seem to set quite well with Krylon 1311 Matte finishing spray which is non-yellowing. I generally apply two liberal coats. Maybe this could be an option for your art cards so that you could stay with the pastels?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your zebra is brilliant! Such wonderful shading on the black and white, subtle but it makes it so three-dimensional, and I love the green background. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely amazing!!!! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you both, Mariana and Genine.:)

    ReplyDelete