Friday 2 January 2009

a photo a day - jan. 2nd


this is a macro pic of my - euphorbia trigona - otherwise known as the african milk tree. it lives in a pot under our pergola. technically, it is not a cactus but a succulent. michelle gave it to me around eight years ago and it was only about three inches in height then.....now, this baby is close to seven feet tall! i LOVE it! i do have to stake it though as it has toppled a few times on strong, windy days. i have noticed that people seem to put a few of them in one pot together which would probably serve to support each other better against winds. on christmas day, i gave michelle a potted cutting from this very plant. to read more about the african milk tree, you can visit this link. to see other pics posted by january photo a day participants, please visit the links in my sidebar.


in the studio - i laid out some supplies ready to make up some decorated journals as i've received a few orders prior to christmas. i'm hoping to get some time to work on them tomorrow. i did buy some nice 3D stickers for the covers but do you think i can find where i put them?! you see, i have a habit of hiding things in a 'safe' place away from aaron but the problem i have is that i often forget where that 'safe' place is. yes, i'm that good when it comes to hiding things. the hilarious part is that aaron is usually the one who ends up finding the missing item for me. LOL
love, light and peace ~

21 comments:

  1. Ah well, we share the "great Hider" in common. I get it from my mom. Hiding things in such a good spot that I forget where I hid it in the first place. Oi!
    Peace~
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the succulents, euphorbias. I have a hard time growing them but this one I might be able to. When I lived in CA, succulents of all types did so well but not here in the heat of summer. I never knew the name of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting plant! Learn everyday something new.

    As for hiding...I can hear you, sometimes I am hiding so well so it takes such a lo-o-ong time to find if at all so I am ending bying :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! You're not hiding them for Aaron, you're creating a treasure hunt for him! :)

    Don't you love the word "succulent"? :)

    Lovely pictures! Way to start the New Year with two projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the SAME WAY with hiding things from myself. I always forget. *sigh*

    Hey I love that euphorbia! I'll be doing some euphorbia faeires in the near future so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, love the unique plant. I'll have to go read about it. I didn't realize you make and sell journals, that's great!! YOu must keep busy.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 7 feet!! Its a cool looking plant :) I would feel very short standing next to it lol

    that is a lot of nice patterned paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the succulant plants- they do very well here in Florida. I appreciuate the fact that they need very little care and seem to thrive on neglect. Great photo! I need to learn how to use the macro on my camera.

    I don't hide supplies, but just forget were I stored them (at the rate I am going I will have no short term memory recall in ten more years-LOL), or they become buried under stuff on my work tables. My studio is long over due for a thorough cleaning and re-organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely succulent! Wish I were better at growing them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great pic. I prefer to take macro shots of plants/flowers thanof anything else!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 7 feet! Wow! I imagine it is a show-stopper. I am forever hiding things from myself and I don't even have to try to put things away to do it. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  12. One thing about blogging you get to see the world from your chair.
    I'm not sure if that succulent would grow here or not.
    The hen and chick plant does well in my area.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got a fake succulent.... I pretend...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't grow anything, wish I could have a cool succulent like that, even a mini version.
    I always lose things but my dh is worse then me!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your comments. Beautiful plant, looks like it would fit right in on our lanai.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful plant! I thought at first it was a Crown of Thorns. Isn't it gratifying when things thrive like that?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, it's a relief to know that I'm not the only one who has problems finding things I put in a 'safe' place. lol Thanks for your comments....the African Milk Tree is quite hardy in this climate though won't tolerate frost. I water it a little every couple of week and it seems to do okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did I miss your post about a SUCCULENT????? I love trigonas, and interestingly, I do not own one! I must start looking. They are so unusual!
    Hope you find those stickers!!!
    LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous plant...Thanks for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Serena,
    wow wot a beautiful succulentand so huge as well- it surely loves you and where you have it!
    I wish we were having the rain down here- we are still well into the drought and havent had any decent rainful since the beginning of last month and then that was only one day- Please send your rain to us - we will appreciate it I promise you
    love n hugs Bear xoxoxoxo
    (Adelaide SA)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the shot you took of the unusual plant--well, unusual here--hehe! Beautiful and looks almost as if it is moving--dancing! :)

    I am not even hiding things and can't find them--ROFL! Too many "things", I guess, eh?

    ReplyDelete