Sunday 9 May 2010

I am thankful for......& book review

Hi everyone,

It's 7:30 AM on Mother's Day as I type this post.  The sky is clear, the sun is out so it looks like we are going to be in for a beautiful day.  My parents and all my kids will be here for lunch later on and I'm so looking forward to it.  Time with my family is the best Mother's Day gift of all.   I hope you all enjoy a meaningful, happy and loving Mother's Day too.  I'll post more about mine tomorrow.

Yesterday, I managed a little time to notch up another EveryDayMatters challenge
Click on image to enlarge

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES
by Sue Monk Kidd


On back of cover:  Lily has grown up believing she accidentally killed her mother when she was just four years old. Now, at fourteen, she yearns for forgiveness and a mother's love. Living on a peach farm in South Carolina with her harsh and unyielding father, she has only one friend, Rosaleen, a black servant.

When racial tension explodes one summer afternoon, and Rosaleen is arrested and beaten, Lily is compelled to act.  Fugitives from justice, the pair follow a trail left by the woman who died ten years before.  Finding sanctuary in the home of three bee-keeping sisters, Lily starts a journey as much about her understanding the world, as about the mystery surrounding her mother.

My own thoughts:  I first discovered this book in a book review on another blog and felt it was a must-have for my collection.  It did not disappoint and I will be checking out other book titles by this same author too.  From the very get-go, I was swept up in this young girl's life and I fell in love with the bee-keeping sisters and their friends.   I would definitely recommend this beautifully written book to anyone. It was heartfelt, raw and emotional and, be warned, have the tissues handy because a few times I found myself crying to the point where I had to remove my glasses to wipe away the flow of tears.  I'm looking forward to getting the DVD.

I am now off to get ready and prepare food for the day ahead.

Again, I wish you all a wonderful and blessed Mother's Day.

Love, light and peace

13 comments:

  1. Aha! I just wrote about lotions on my blog today when I posted pictures of my "bedside table" and headboard--hehe!

    I saw the movie, but haven't read the book. Loved the movie. I'll be interested to hear which you liked better--book or movie?

    Have a wonderful Mother's Day!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mothers Day to you too Serena!! I keep forgeting your seasons are opposite ours! We're just getting into the warmer weather! Yeah!!! Love your drawing. Wish I had her nails :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mothers Day to you dear Serena.
    Enjoy the time with your family.
    That is what really matters.

    Hand cream is a must winter and Summer isn't it?

    Secret Life of Bees is one of my favorite movies....would like to read the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My FAVORITE BOOK of all time!!! I read it on vacation the year it came out and I just think of it so many times! Incredible author...Sue Monk Kidd. I love the Mermaid Chair also. The books are better than the movies. If you haven't read the Mermaid Chair, you simply MUST! It is amazing! I am just waiting for her next book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Secret Life of Bees is one of my all time favorite books; probably one of about 10 fiction works that would make the "always keep" shelf. However, I've not been impressed with her other work. The Mermaid Chair was a bit disappointing.

    The DVD did not disappoint - I rarely like the movie as well as the book, but this was a goody.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite books. The movie is good but alas not as good as the book. The Mermaid Chair is Sue's other novel and I liked it for its own story. Its very different from Bees. Her non-fiction book Dance of the Dissident Daughter is the story of her spiritual journey and I loved it as well. I have also read her latest Traveling with Pomegranates which is written with her daughter Ann. Its about her journey into menopause and Ann's journey into womanhood and is very good. I have been fortunate to meet Sue on two different occasions. She is just like you would expect her to be, charming, warm and so giving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post. Happy mother's day to you Serena.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep meaning to read this book, have heard nothing but good things about it.

    with the weather changing from cold to warm, i need lotion for my cracked hands. the hacks can get so painful sometimes.

    hope you had a great day :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mother's Day dear Serena!
    Hope you have a wonderful day full of love and laughter. I loved that movie "Secret Life of Bees". I still need to read the book and then compare them. :)But I am sure the book will be better.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Mother's Day, Serena. I'm sure you had a lovely lunch with your family.

    That is such a good book. I loved it. I also read The Mermaid's Chair and enjoyed it, too.

    Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Mother's Day, Serena! I just got back from spending two days with my mom in Atlanta. :) Moms are awesome!

    I can recommend Sue Monk Kidd's other novel The Mermaid Chair, which I heartily enjoyed (altho not quite as much as Bees), and can share that Mrs. Kidd was raised in Georgia, where I grew up, and now lives in South Carolina, not too far from me. This somehow gives me hope for my own novel writing -- even though that makes no sense. LOL. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOur sketches are always so enjoyable to look at. I saw the movie "Secret Life of Bees" and enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete