Wednesday 3 April 2013

Colour swatches and sketching....

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a lovely Easter weekend!
Aaron is currently on school break so it will be nice having him home for the next couple of weeks.
It's hard to believe the first term of school is already over.

The other morning I woke to a beautiful dawn sky with pink clouds.
It was so pretty!


You may remember that I treated myself to some art goodies a month or so back.


As it's hard to tell what the watercolour pencils will look like once they are activated with water, I decided to create a colour swatch chart for them to make life a little easier.


Now, I will be able to tell at a glance which colour I need to use.

The chart was created on a sheet of A3 CANSON Montval Watercolour 300 paper (300gsm).

I haven't been sketching much since my last post but I have been doing a lot of reading. My copy of 'An Illustrated Journey' by Danny Gregory finally arrived and it was well worth the wait. This book makes a wonderful companion to 'An Illustrated Life' which I bought a couple of years back. I LOVE sneak peaks into the illustrated journals of other artists!  SO inspiring!


I actually did feel inspired to do a quick sketch yesterday.

I sketched my new stainless steel water bottle using Faber-Castell PITT pens, watercolours, and watercolour pencils in large Moleskine sketchbook.

Hopefully, this sketch is a start to many more.

21 comments:

  1. That watercolor pencil chart is an excellent idea! :) I have a friend who is getting into those and I think that will be a big help. Thanks for sharing :)
    Your waterbottle sketch is amazing! Love those colors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I think it's a great way to see the real colour at a glance as some of the watercolour pencils can be very deceiving when just looking at the pencil itself.

      Delete
  2. LOVE your sky shot--just gorgeous! Great color chart. I could do several of those for different mediums...hummm.

    Hope Aaron is enjoying his vacation time. It will go fast. :)

    I have yet to purchase one of Danny Gregory's books. Everyone says they really like them.

    Great journal page. You will love having a drinking thermos. I have had mine for years and use filtered water, too, to fill it. So wonderful not to be adding to the landfills. I drink more water than I used to, too. Looks like you got a really pretty one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita! I need to make up more colour charts for my tube watercolours and my Inktense water-soluble pencils. I did one for the Inktense in my sketchbook but I want to keep all the colour swatch charts together in one place.

      I love Danny Gregory's books. They are big on illustrated journaling which I love. 'The Creative License' is excellent for encouragement and getting the creative juices flowing.

      I'm making a conscious effort to reduce my use of plastic. It's incredible just how much plastic has infiltrated its way into our lives so easily yet it causes so much devastation to the environment and wildlife. :(

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely water bottle... I would drink more water from it... it is making me wish I had bought a pretty one now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trace! I've never been a big water drinker as I'm big on my hot drinks. However, I'm gradually getting better at drinking more filtered water....after all, it's supposed to be good for us. :)

      Delete
  4. Great colour chart and lovely sketch too! Yes, keep on sketching. I need to give myself this advice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruca. Yes, yes....follow your advice as you sketch beautifully. :)

      Delete
  5. very pretty sky photo :)

    i always mean to make colour charts, but give up half way and then just guess at the final colours when i use them :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. :) I don't like having to guess when I'm not familiar with the colours...some can look so different before they're activated with water.

      Delete
  6. Watercolor pencils sound awesome...never tried them . You made a lovely sketch !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane....they are great to play with. :)

      Delete
  7. LOVE the pink clouds...*swoon*... And such fun to see your sketching and watercolor pencil "swatches" :o) I've been wanting to start a daily sketch book rather like yours, to capture a moment and journal about it. Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! Illustrated journals are so much fun and it's great to look back through them at later dates. :) xo

      Delete
  8. Fabulous!!! I have never been much of a sketcher but I am SO drawn in by this. I am ready to give it a try for myself. Your lettering is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try...I'm sure you would love it. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm sure that book is very inspiring. I am in awe of folks who can sketch their surroundings so beautifully. You could have your own published sketch journal since your drawings are equally amazing! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice water bottle and wonderful sketch! Have fun with your new pencils!

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg Serena, your color chart puts mine to shame!! it's a work of art on its own. :-)
    What a lovely water bottle sketch! Your handwriting is amazing. I always love coming here & seeing what you've been up to.
    Glad to hear you're feeling (seeing!) better. Nice to have you back. xox

    ReplyDelete