Sunday 28 December 2014

Christmas celebrations, choir, and ornaments

I hope you all had a beautiful Christmas!
I was actually quite sick with sinuses and asthma 
but I did manage to put on a smile 
and spend time at my daughter's house 
for Christmas celebrations with my beautiful family.
We all had a lovely time!

 Michelle got a selfie-stick from Alex for Christmas
and it was put to good use on Christmas day.
I want one!


 Michelle wasn't feeling the best either
but we both put on happy faces,
with a little help from some Christmas wine, perhaps?
I only had one, I swear.


******************************************************

On December 16th, our Mater Sing for Health Choir
sang Christmas Carols in the Mater Mothers Hospital foyer
after only four weeks of practise.
On December 17th and 18th, we repeated our performance
at the two Mater Volunteers' Christmas parties of
approx. 100 people at each.
We were very well received by our audience
and we even had them join in for a Christmas round at the end.
We all had an absolute blast!

 Photo courtesy of Mater Hospital - Queensland


******************************************************

I haven't been doing much in the way of sketching
but I have been painting.

As always seems to be the way,
I was frantically trying to finish ornaments in time for Christmas.
I had planned to start them early, like in September,
but my life was turned upside down when Dad became ill
and ended up in a high care aged facility,
so I kept putting the ornaments off until later.

Since the birth of my granddaughters,
I started a tradition of painting them a Christmas ornament  each year.

This year, I decided to recycle two light bulbs.
I have done similar in the past
and they are a lot of fun to transform.
Do you like my state-of-the-art bulb holders? hehe
Plastic bottles filled with pebbles for weight,
then the bulbs held in place securely with Blu-tack.
They worked perfectly!

First up, two coats of All Purpose Sealer.
That stuff is fantastic for using on slick surfaces.


Then a few coats of Jo Sonja Warm White.


Now, the fun begins.
Scarves first up.


Then, their little faces.
Brown eyes for Maddy,
Blue eyes for Mikayla.


And, of course the Christmas holly.


All dressed ready for the Christmas tree
wearing polar fleece for hats
adhered with Helmar quick-set Craft glue.





Just hangin'!

You can see the ornaments I painted for previous years
at the following links.

2013
2012
2011
2010
2010 (part 2)

I'm feeling almost human again today
and I'm looking forward to babysitting Mikayla and Maddy
while Michelle and Alex take in a movie at the cinema.

It's been pouring rain since yesterday and I'm loving it!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Any plans for New Year's Eve?

8 comments:

  1. Oh, these are so cute! Loved seeing the step by step. I bet the girls really love these...for many years to come, too. Can't quite believe they are that old already! Sorry you and Michelle weren't feeling well. Glad to hear you're finally on the mend, though. Glad you made the choir event again. You guys have so much fun doing that!! I LOVE the Christmas selfie!! No idea what the selfie-stick is, but love the results. Love and hugs!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you are enjoying the holiday season! We have been sick over Christmas too, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those ornaments. Glad to hear you had a nice holiday despite not feeling up to par. Wishing you all the best in 2015! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those ornaments!

    All the best for the New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that you've not been well over the holidays as well. I do hope you regain your full health and strength soon, too. LOVE the snowman light bulbs. Oh so cute and a brilliant idea! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone. I'm still feeling poorly but tomorrow is another day. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Serena, what adorable little lightbulb snowmen!! Thank you for sharing this. And those group photos - such beautiful people! You may not have felt the greatest, but you look fabulous. Wine always helps. ;-) Happy New Year my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete