Thursday 12 October 2017

Another INKtober portrait - Aaliyah

Well, I haven't managed to post daily but I have been sketching daily for INKtober. YAY!

That said, I have been posting daily over on my Instagram profile — click HERE.

To continue where I left off...

Aaliyah was an up and rising star as a singer and an actress when, at only 22 years of age, she tragically died in a plane crash on August 25th, 2001. That day, Aaliyah and her film crew had finished filming for a music video in the Bahamas and, afterwards, boarded the Cessna plane to head back to Florida. Unfortunately, the plane had weight in excess of the allowable amount and the pilot had falsified documents so was not even qualified to fly the plane. It took off but quickly nose-dived and crashed at the end of the runway exploding into a fireball. All nine people on board died.

My son, Beau, was devastated because Aaliyah was his favourite singer/actress. He was only 14 at the time she died and he took it very hard. He was in denial for weeks and kept asking if she could have made it to safety. In his mind, he had so desperately wanted her to miraculously escape and survive...it took him a long time to come to terms with her death. I felt so bad for him and felt helpless to ease his pain. Beau still feels that Aaliyah's songs speak to him and they have helped him through lots of emotional and difficult times over the years.

Needless to say, I felt under extra pressure with this sketch of Aaliyah because, when it comes to all things Aaliyah, Beau must give his stamp of approval and — luckily for me, he did.

The first couple of layers of ink

And the final result

Tribute video - Click HERE if the video doesn't work

I will post more from my INKtober sketches tomorrow so check back then...

4 comments:

  1. I remember hearing about the plane crash but had never heard her music. Not sure I have still. So young--and such a waste to be killed because of liars. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know much of her until Beau started following her. It was tragic that she died so young...and yes, all because of the pilot lying about his credentials. Terrible!

      Delete