Monday 22 August 2016

Sketching and a day trip

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted.  I've been busy with more house decorating after deciding to carry the black, grey, and white accents from my bedroom throughout the rest of the house.  This meant a couple more, very quick abstract paintings and some coats of paint on some ornaments.  I've also been taking Andrea Joseph's Sketchbook Skool class - Creative Hand Lettering. I'm enjoying the class so much and I've already learned some new techniques which I'm very happy about.  I did this class mainly because I want to add a bit more pizzazz to the pages in my illustrated journals.  Some illustrated pages can seem plain and boring but creative lettering will take them to a more interesting level. I look forward to experimenting more.

In a recent blog post, Liz Steel talks about being satisfied with simple sketches which is something I need to do.  Below is a quick pen sketch I did on our trip to Wellington Point yesterday.  I tried to keep it very loose and simple which is very hard to do considering I'm pedantic about details.


And with a splash of watercolour 

I'm late again for Sunday Sketches but linking up anyways. 
To see the work of other participants for this week, click HERE.

Some of my letter play this past week 


And some pics from our trip to Wellington Point yesterday. 
It's one of our favourite family spots.  
The weather was perfect!


I have walked this jetty many times
and it is a part of memories I hold very dear.

The beach side of the point

The sea-breezes are perfect for paragliders

And part of a walking trail that we discovered after all these years.
That's Bradley, my eldest child who recently turned 33...
goodness, where have the years gone???

The Moreton Bay Fig trees are beautiful! 
These ones sit just up behind the beach.

I'll be back soon to share some pics of my abstract paintings...

Have a beautiful week!

19 comments:

  1. i thought about taking Andrea's class...but i always get behind when i take those classes online. sigh. looks like it is a fun class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very nearly didn't take her class because of funds but then I relented at the last minute. I'm glad I signed up because I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I usually do fall behind in online classes but I love classes like this because they are available indefinitely and I just work at my own pace. :)

      Delete
  2. the water looks wonderful :D I don't find your sketches boring at all! never have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen....that's so sweet of you to say. xo

      Delete
  3. I think you lose sketch is beautiful. Sometimes even the simplest of drawings can be full of depth and yours has that depth. Love your lettering so too. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos of Wellington point

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the typos was too quick in publishing 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Shashi...I knew what you meant and I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. xo :)

      Delete
  5. The fig trees are amazing and that is such a magic place to behold!! The lettering is so fun and I have to say that the simple sketch is very inspiring to see. I have constantly allowed myself to be dissuaded from sketching/posting sketches because I am always seeking perfection and complete realization. . . even though I know full well that the success of so much of my work has been from simplifying and not over-working details! Perhaps I will keep this open as I try to sketch a bit this coming week. . .

    Thank you Serena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicolas! Enjoy your sketching over the coming week. I too have a terrible habit of overworking details and I feel like I lose the essence of the subject because of it. Sometimes, details are good though...I think balance is key. :)

      Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  6. I really do LOVE the loose sketch with watercolor added. Wow! Congrats at becoming a loose woman!! LOL!
    The lettering looks like a lot of fun. I can picture you using some of these in your sketchbook with your awesome drawings.
    So lovely by the beach there. Happy belated birthday to Brad!! :) Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...thanks, Rita. Yes, it was lovely...we had a beautiful day. I'll pass on your birthday wishes to Brad.

      Love and hugs to you xo

      Delete
  7. Wow ~ You definitely have talent ~ love the pen and ink sketch and then with colors and Gorgeous blue sky photos! Wonderful post!

    Happy week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ink and watercolor sketch is beautiful! The lettering is looking great too. The photographs are also lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the house on the hill and also the tree at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your sketch - ...I need to learn that too less is more sometimes. Anyway, lovely lettering and it's something I've wanted to learn also. The scenery photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete