Monday 18 February 2019

Missing my best friend

I haven't been up to posting until today because, on Monday February 4th, I had an agonising decision to make and that was to say goodbye to my best friend of twelve years, Cody.
Cody - 2 years old (2008)

As you know Cody was battling Cushing's Disease and it was extremely taxing on his little body. He had developed a heart murmur and his gums were grey-white and tacky, a sign of dehydration despite the massive volumes of water he consumed — a symptom of Cushing's. He had become so lethargic and we all felt it was becoming too much for him.  The vet said that some little dogs muddle along while some go downhill very fast and, sadly, Cody was in the latter group.

There hasn't been a day gone by where I haven't shed tears for my little man and I'm even crying as I type this. I feel like I've cried an ocean already. I miss him terribly as Cody was like my little shadow. We were so very close and he was never far from my side and he would pine for me when I was not at home. It's hard coming home now and not being greeted by his excited barking and happiness to see us — lots of kisses and cuddles were always a must.
He came to us at 8 weeks old. Photo taken January 7th, 2007.
I will always be grateful to my nephew, Adam, for giving me such a precious gift.

Cody left an indelible mark on my heart as he did with his human siblings too. They took it very hard as they each have their special memories with Cody. As hard as it would have been for Aaron, it meant a lot that he was there with me and Cody until the very end. Cody was his first dog and I always joked that they were like litter-brothers.

Poor Jack is missing his 'brother' too. He seems a little lost no doubt wondering where Cody is. Breaks my heart.
Cody and Jack (2012)

I would often say that Cody looked like a little harp seal when he lay flat out on the floor.

I had my precious boy cremated and his ashes returned in a small silver urn. The house had felt so empty for the 5 days he was gone but, when his ashes came home, it didn't feel so empty anymore. I like to think that he is watching over us.

Dearest Cody, 
Thank you for being the most loyal and loving friend a girl could ever have. You made me feel so special and loved unconditionally. Know that you will always be in my heart and never forgotten. I love and miss you so much, my baby, but I'm sure we will meet again some day. 
Cody Lewis 
10/11/2006 - 4/2/2019
Forever in our hearts

“A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water logged stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?” — John Grogan

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. It's getting a little easier now though some days are harder than others. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh this is so sad for you and the family. Cody was certainly special and most fortunate that you gave him a loving home all those years.
    My thoughts are with you Serena.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry about Cody, Serena. It will get better but you will never forget him or not miss him. Poor Jack must be at a loss. I hope he's been adapting okay. Love and Hugs!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita. It is much easier now even though I still have the occasional day where I miss him so badly, especially while I've been recuperating. Jack has since adjusted too. Love and hugs. xo

      Delete
  4. aww ...i feel sad reading this - I know what it feels like to have to let go to a wonderful sweet doggie. Hope u are comforted by a visit here and there by Cody. I personally had that happen so I know it can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Sandy. I believe Cody watches over me too. I still miss my little shadow. xx

      Sorry I'm so late to reply but I'm only just getting back to doing things online.

      Delete
  5. sorry for the loss of your furry family member :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. It's getting a little easier now even though I still miss him. x

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard those decissions always are, and can imagine how much you must be missing Cody. Hope Jack isn't too miserable without his brother. R.I.P. Cody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your caring words, Tori. xx

      Delete
  7. Serena, I'm SO SORRY I'm SO LATE at coming to your blog. I've been in a funk lately. I'm sorry. Your news is heartbreaking. I feel so horrible for you at losing your Cody. I've been there and I still shed tears YEARS later. I'm sending you much love and many hugs...I hope you're doing okay, sorry I'm so late with my comments!
    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I'm so late to reply but I've barely been online with missing Cody and then recovering from my surgery. Thanks for your caring words. I still shed tears for my little man. xx

      P.S. - See you for Thursday Art Dates! :)

      Delete
  8. Dear Serena, it seems I missed this post. I am so very sorry to hear about Cody. I know what a little light and love he was in your life. May his furry little soul rest in peace. I know how hard it is. Honestly, my first dog, Toni, died when I was 17 and it was the hardest thing ever when we had to put her to sleep. We got her when I was 2 yeas old. She was 15 when she died. That is a very long time to have a constant loyal companion at your side. Sending lots of comforting hugs your way. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy. I still miss him terribly but it's getting a little easier. Sorry about your Toni...they are always in our hearts and will always be remembered with love, that's for sure. xx

      Delete
  9. Sending you a very belated hug Serena....saw your little post on Shashi's blog and came to check out things... hope you feel better yourself soon too.....

    hugs, V>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VEE!!! So lovely to see you! Not sure how we lost touch but I am so happy to see a comment from you this morning. Thanks for the hug...much appreciated. xx

      Delete