Monday 29 August 2016

Sketching, painting, and creative play


I'm still working on finishing the double-page spread from our trip to Wellington Point last weekend. I decided to do a pen sketch from one of the fig tree photos I took that day. I gave it a stylised look which I really like it and it gives the double spread some interest.  I was inspired by Jeremy Collins, a climber and artist/illustrator.  I have his book titled Drawn and I also bought his documentary movie which featured him sketching. The book is amazing and so inspiring filled with his sketches and hand lettering among many photos too. You can see a great review of the book which includes lots of pictures HERE.

Here is the link to the trailer in case the video trailer won't play for you -
https://vimeo.com/100062478


Linking up with Sunday Sketches again this week...and again, a little late. 
To see the work of the other participants for this week, click HERE.

I never did get around to posting photos of the other two abstract/decorative pieces I whipped up for the new colours in the house.  These were done in a flash, free-hand, and they were a lot of fun to do. The one below is in the family room area.  I went with a pattern to kinda tie in with the cushion.


And the following is my bedroom.  
It was impossible to get a decent photo of this one due to the lighting in my room 
but, trust me,  it looks so much better in person. 


When I was driving home from dropping Aaron at school through the week, I noticed a large group of ibis in our street.  I just had to stop and take a pic as it's been quite a while since I've seen so many ibis together in our area.  


No doubt they have been pushed off their local habitat as even more housing developments are being built in our area.  It worries me to see even our local bush areas bulldozed down for human take-over. Where do they expect the wildlife in those areas to go?  It makes me so sad that we often label displaced animals/birds as pests when the real pests on this planet are humans. Our numbers have multiplied to unsustainable levels and we literally destroy whatever is in our path. It's always the innocent who suffer.  I am trying to live more consciously and be more aware of the footprint I leave behind.


I had the pleasurable company of these two adorable artists on Saturday.  Mikayla on the left and Maddy on the right.  We had a wonderful day together!  Painting, sketching, doing collage, even a picnic in the back yard....it was a blast!  I adore time spent with my Grandkids!


 I'm working my way through some online courses and having lots of fun! 
I'm thoroughly enjoying Andrea Joseph's Creative Lettering class.
 We even played with graffiti....my name in graffiti below. 
These are all quick and rough references for future use. 
There are tons of graffiti styles to play with.


And that pretty much sums up last week.
I hope you all have a lovely and creative week ahead.

34 comments:

  1. Cool paintings for your house and I absolutely love the painting you did for your bedroom. Looks like you're having a productive time through and through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juana! Yes, I'm really pleased to be managing some creative time of late. :)

      Delete
  2. the art looks great on the walls, really like the patterned one :)

    Poor birds :( glad to see them but its not good their actual habitat is being reduced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! Yes, and it's not just the birds as we also have wallabies in the area too. Breaks my heart. :(

      Delete
  3. I like what you are doing with your lettering. That must be a wonderful class....a fun one to work with. But the picture you did over your bed...it is out of this world I LOVE it!!!! Good lighting or not so good, it looks absolutely beautiful. You are so talented, and I love that you are decorating your wall with your own works. That is really special. Have a happy week. genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great class, Genie. Thanks for you lovely comment. :)

      Delete
  4. lovely tree sketch and beautiful paintings for your home! We have the same problem with the poor wildlife in our area, it's worse thinking it's happening everywhere. Sweet grandkids you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! Yes, it's so sad what we are doing to wildlife everywhere.

      Delete
  5. Magical tree--and the bedroom painting is especially amazing!! Wow!
    I do feel badly for the misplaced animals. Some of my visiting critters are misplaced from construction, too.
    Love the granddaughters!! Can't believe how big they're getting. Sounds like the best time. :)
    I love your name! How wild is that!! Looks to me like graffiti you see on buildings and trains, but better than a lot of them. That looks like such a fun class!
    Enjoy your week. Love and hugs from Fargo!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita! Yes, very sad about the animals.
      The girls are definitely growing fast. Little Mackenzie took her first steps the other day! She turns one later this month.

      I'm so glad I ended up taking the class with Andrea. Truly a lot of fun!

      Have a great weekend xo

      Delete
  6. Hi Serena..gorgeous tree, lovely line work and energy..fantastic! Everything is beautiful, wonderful photos! and totally loved the video..inspiring.
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! Yes, I feel so inspired every time I watch the full documentary. His book is amazing too! :)

      Delete
  7. Great tree and I love the paintings for your house ♥♥♥♥ Love the young artist photo....my girls where too busy to come and stay this summer :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! Sorry you didn't get to see your girls this summer. :( I'm so glad my daughter lives close to me so I can see my Grandkids a lot. :)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous B/W sketches, paintings that you do and lovely ibis photography and your grandchildren are so adorable ~ thanks for visiting ^_^

    Wishing you a happy week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! Glad you liked the ibis photos too. :)

      Delete
  9. Serena your sketch is beautiful. Love the paintings too. You are so talented. Looks like the grandkids are taking after the grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shashi! It makes my heart glad to see how much the girls love to draw and paint. :)

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed the trailer. I think everything you sketch and paint is just fabulous! And look at those grandgirlies of yours. I can't believe how much they've grown. Both of them are just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, thanks, Tammy! The girls are a delight and their baby sister is fast catching up to them. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh! I forgot to say wholeheartedly that I agree with your statement that SOME humans are the pests. We can't keep ravaging the land forever. One thing that really disgusted me along my travels over the past 5 weeks is that there is garbage everywhere. Big companies and governments aren't doing enough to contain it and people are regressing when it comes to caring about the environment and their surroundings. It seems so many people think that there will be someone out there to clean up after them. I just don't get it. I have had to use many a bathroom while traveling -- from airports to airplanes and rest stops while on road trips and I can't tell you how horrible they all were. I clean up before I go in and after myself before I go in. Why do people leave places in such filth? I really just don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I get very upset when I see garbage litter in places too. How can people be so lazy?! Once a year, there is a clean up Brisbane campaign where volunteers get together and go clean up parks, creeks, and local areas. It's a good effort but the public at large could save them a lot of work by being responsible with their litter.

      OH, and some of the rest-rooms here leave a lot to be desired also. I have to wonder what some of the women are like at home if they can leave a public toilet in such a disgrace. I dread going to the rest-rooms in some areas when we are out and about. :(

      Delete
  12. oops! That should read "after myself when I go out." :/

    ReplyDelete
  13. you live in beautiful area
    your art work is so catchy

    your grands girls are so cute liked visiting you dear

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not to date myself but I recall visiting my dad in NYC when graffiti was just starting to attract notice in the art world. Since no one did it for the art world's attention, it ALL had a remarkable style and beauty to it and it was mostly on buildings and train cars in Brooklyn and the Bronx that, quite frankly, needed the lift of color and art. lol I had never seen graffiti done like that before then. I still remember it all these years later. : )

    I love the paintings and the sketch too! Wonderful tree.

    And the grandkids. . . "adorbs" lol So wonderful to see them making art! They must inspire you too in many ways. . .

    Ibises!! Ohhh I would love to see them in person. The ancient Egyptian deity Djehuty was one of the first forms in Egyptian art that caught my 7 or 8 year old eye and imagination. Back then I thought ,"it must be made up, what bird could have a beak and neck like that?" : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember such times too. Some graffiti can indeed be remarkable. Glad you liked the art. And yes, my granddaughters inspire me all the time. Kids are so free and confident with their creations. Love it!

      OH, Nicolas! You would love the ibis here as they have adapted well to being around humans and come quite close to you, especially in picnic/food areas. They are a very unique looking bird for sure and I'm not surprised you are drawn to them with your strong interest in Ancient Egypt. :)

      Delete
  15. Looks like you had a fabulous time with the girls. Awww How sweet! I love your tree sketch and am quite curious what little watercolor painting you have covered up to the left! ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexandra....the finished spread is revealed in my next post. Yes, I adore spending time with my granddaughters. They never fail to brighten my day. :)

      Delete
  16. Your granddaughters look like beauty queens (princesses). Absolutely beautiful girls! I can't believe how grown they have become!!! Of course, I love to see them watercoloring!!! I was drawing every day for about a week, and have lost my desire....not sure what to do! I think I am an on and off kind of person! I admire your tenacity, Serena!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may sound biased but I think my granddaughters are beautiful, little princesses too. They grow up so fast, don't they?! A shame you have stopped the watercolour sketches but hopefully, you are just on a break....I have those too. :)

      Delete
  17. I absolutely love that tree Serena! I find trees so difficult to draw or paint, no matter which style. I love trees and I'm frustrated that I don't seem to get a decent drawing of one. I really love this style you used here, it has so much character! And the abstracts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. I think I will definitely do more trees in this style as I love it too. Don't be too hard on yourself...why don't you try this style and see how it goes? :)

      Delete