Sunday 19 February 2017

A trail walk and some sketches

Yesterday, Bradley, Aaron, and I went on a day trip to Mount Tamborine. It turned out to be quite a hot and humid day up on the mountain. We decided to go on a trail walk to Cameron Falls — a 2.6km return walk.  The trail had lots of rocky steps and was quite narrow in areas with a steep drop on one side.  That made Bradley quite nervous but he held onto my arm the whole way so I could guide him through it.



A concrete bridge across a small creek bed

Some huge and interesting trees along the way

Root mass of a palm tree

It was quite dense in areas and we even came across the odd flower or two

and the occasional scrub turkey

We made it to the lookout but we were a little disappointed to find that Cameron Falls was little more than a trickle off the cliff face at this time of year.


Beautiful views though. We weren't looking forward to the trek back as it was mostly uphill, rough in areas, and it was still very humid.

We headed home mid-afternoon, worn out from our trail walk but filled with a sense of satisfaction.

Below are a couple of sketches from my week. 

First up — Lemons!

Bradley had an Occupational Therapy appointment on Wednesday and his therapist mentioned that an Irish entertainer would be performing in the Mater Mothers hospital foyer at lunch-time so we stayed around to see it.

I did the following pen sketch from a photo I took of Shane playing the guitar and singing.

And finished him up with some watercolour and coloured pencils.

I'm linking up with Sunday Sketches this week hosted by the amazing author/illustrator, Alexandra Macvean. To see the work of other participants, click HERE.

We are getting some rain at the moment and I sure hope it cools things down. It's very muggy right now. I hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend.

31 comments:

  1. This trail and the beautiful, big trees remind me so much of the walks I took when I lived in your beautiful country - wonderful. I am glad you enjoyed this hike together even though it was quite something.
    I like your lemons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Australia. :)

      Delete
  2. Mount Tambourine trail looks phenomenal, and I'm sure be accompanied by your family made it even better for you. I love your illustrations this week too. Happy Sunday Sketches, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful and fun day, Arnoldo. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful nature walk and wonderful creative photos ~ and your sketches are divine and elegant ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a Happy Day ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol...glad you liked them.

      Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your lovely walk, and your sketches are BEAUTIFUL as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazingly beautiful place...wow, I love those wonderful trees!! And the turkeys. :)
    Lovely pic of you as well.

    Your lemon sketch is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica. I always find myself in awe of the big, old trees. :)

      Delete
  6. your sketch of the entertainer turned out fantastically and I have to say, we must be thinking similarly, lemons are on my list for today. Your old growth forests so remind me of ours here. The trees, bark and wildlife are a little different but the feeling inside them is exactly the same. Have a great upcoming week Serena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do say that great minds think alike. hehe I know what you mean — there is something so special about the old growth forests.

      Have a wonderful week ~ :)

      Delete
  7. The palm roots are so cool. And love the lemon and musician illustrations. wishing you a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun!!! I love it. And I would have been just as terrified of that drop-off. I think I've seen too many episodes of Dateline NBC where someone "accidentally" went off a steep bank while walking with a spouse...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...funny you say that, Stephanie, because we joked quite a bit about that very topic while on our hike.

      Delete
  9. i hope it cools down and you guys get some relief from the heat

    looks like a nice green hike :) bit to uneven for me tho ;/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temps are a little cooler this week, thank goodness.

      The uneven terrain isn't the best for my back, that's for sure. Anti-inflammatory medication has been my close friend this past week.

      Delete
  10. Your hike photos are awesome! i haven't been on a hike in a long, long time. beautiful sketches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I love going on the rain-forest trail walks. So much fun and good exercise to boot. :)

      Delete
  11. what beautiful walk through woods !
    loved the last view from top most.
    i can imagine the peace you must felt here friend!
    this sketch is absolutely wonderful!
    you are very talented at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Baili. Yes, it was definitely a very peaceful place. :)

      Delete
  12. Glad you had a good time, despite the humidity and disappointment of the size of the falls at this time of year.

    I'd have been as nervous as Bradley. Glad he had someone he could trust to guide him on that kind of trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tori. Brad had a great time despite his trepidation on parts of the trail. :)

      Delete
  13. I just love looking at your photo's! It looks like you were on your way in to 'I'm a Celebrity, Get me Out of Here', lol! I envy your weather, but I can imagine that after a while that humidity and heat would be difficult. We have just reached double figures here for the first time this year. 16 degrees. Hurrah! That means I can actually go out with out a coat on at last! So, the carrot of Spring is finally being dangled! Meanwhile, your sketches are so lovely. I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. haha Enjoy your spring while I look forward to autumn and winter. :)

      Delete
  14. Great post, Mum! I love all the pics of our time up Mount Tamborine! It was a great day despite the heat and humidity. I certainly enjoyed myself despite feeling slightly worried during parts of the walk. I do appreciate you guiding me during the walk. I always love the scenery though. Great sketch of the lemons and also great sketch of Shane and his guitar.

    Love Brad xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad! Yes, the walk was a little nerve-wracking in areas but I think you did extremely well considering you weren't able to use your cane. :)

      Love Mum xo

      Delete
    2. BTw, your son is amazing. Such heart! Reminds me of me and also my sons to me (And my daughter too)! :)

      Delete
  15. Awww...I jsut saw what you wrote about Alexandra. So sweet and you know, she LOVES it when someone takes the time to say something nice like that, as I suspect we all do. So thank you! Means a lot. She works super hard and diligently on her pieces! All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lemons are just gorgeous! Light, color, volume -- I like everything

    ReplyDelete