Friday 20 October 2017

More INKtober sketches

Hello friends,

I'm enjoying the INKtober challenge and managing to keep up with the sketching daily even though I am a day behind in posting them on Instagram.

For this one, I used the official INKtober prompt for Day 13/31 - TEEMING. As we were getting torrential rain that week, it was only fitting that I sketched it.  I used Strathmore Grey-toned paper with Sumi ink and a wee touch of gouache for highlights.

I did this next one on Strathmore Tan-toned paper using Bombay and Sumi inks with some gouache to highlight. The Cheetah was one of my favourite animals as a child....I loved that they could run a mile a minute. I guess this one suited the official INKtober prompt for the day too - FIERCE although I see them as quite a graceful animal - Day 14/31.

Day 15/31 - A Siamese Fighting fish A.K.A. Betta fish. This one is my son's fish which I took a photo of.  I love his colours...sketched with Platinum carbon fountain pen, PITT pen, plus Sumi and Bombay inks.

Day 16/31 - A rabbit. I took some process photos for this one...starting with a loose pen sketch on Strathmore tan-toned paper

First layer which is a mix of Bombay and Sumi inks

Second layer with inks

And the end result....more detail and layering. White gouache for highlights.

More INKtober sketches to follow soon...

10 comments:

  1. I love how you use the ink in so many different ways. Ink is so versatile, not just for drawing, I think that's one of the great discoveries of doing Inktober for me. I absolutely love your rabbit! And so great to see the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. Ink is a wonderful medium to work with especially when it now comes in a variety of colours.

      Delete
  2. very moody rain piece, its really nice :)

    Betta fish are gorgeous and you captured the iridescence they can have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I was hoping to catch the mood in the rain piece.

      Delete
  3. OMGosh!! You are on a roll! They are all just beautiful!! Love the toned paper, too. Wow! Just gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita. I'm enjoying the toned paper a lot. :)

      Delete
  4. I love all of these images Serena. It's wonderful to see the rabbit image in stages like. Your final images always have such vitality and life to them and it's rather amazing to see that transformation in layers. : ) Cheetahs were always a favorite of mine as a child along with zebras and I never saw them as anything but the epitome of grace! And given our recent first wind/rain storm of the season, the first image strikes a chord as well. . . I do love the rain for exactly the mood you captured there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicolas! Sometimes, I like to show the process pics as I think it helps others to see that it's natural to have ugly stages through the layering process.

      Cool that you loved Cheetahs too as a child. I'm glad you picked up on the mood I was trying to achieve in the rain pic. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow I have no words left to say how lovely your sketches are. Just wonderful

    ReplyDelete