Monday 1 December 2014

I'm calling it quits...

I made it to number 88 of the 365 daily sketch challenge before calling it quits.
 I just felt way too pressured by it.
 Who knows, I may try the challenge again for 2015.

For now, you will still see regular sketches from me
but I have given myself permission to miss some days here and there.

I will continue to sketch directly with pen unless stated otherwise
 but I plan to vary my sketchbooks a bit.
The sketches below are all done in my Holcroft A6 travel journal.

I bought this little turtle figurine when I called into Mr Toys to buy a jigsaw puzzle. 
Mum, Brad, and I love working on the puzzle together. 
I also bought one for Mum to take home with her to keep her occupied when she's on her own.
Mum said it has helped keep her mind off Dad being in the home.






Our weather has been unbearably hot and humid of late.
So much so, that I invested in an industrial fan,
an evaporator/cooler fan,
and some block-out curtains.
Every little bit helps.
Today is officially the start of our summer.




OH dear, this Buddha does not look very impressed with the sketch I did of him. lol


Bradley and I attended choir practise last week
and look what I spotted in the Mater Children's Hospital foyer.
Bananas in Pyjamas caught with their pants down!


One of the feathers in my collection.


My sister dropped in some little tomato plants for me.
I just need to plant and stake them.
I sure hope  they provide an abundance of tomatoes.
We had a super-storm on Thursday
and it caused a lot of damage right across Brisbane.
Reece said the storm pelted them with golf-ball-sized hailstones in the city.
It was like a war zone in some areas.
Luckily, we only got ½" hail here.

Late again but, this week, I'm linking up to Sunday Sketches HERE.

18 comments:

  1. wonderful pages, do what you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great pages! I know how you feel about keeping up with challenges. I felt the same about being under pressure to perform and it was taking all of the enjoy out of my art. Now I create what I want when I want and I feel much better about it all ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your art journals, you were my inspiration to start sketching daily in my sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame you. With all you have to do you are so busy every day and the art shouldn't turn into additional pressure or become a chore. Takes just the fun out of it. I do love the pages, though. OMG! I googled the hail storm! That was horrendous in places. Glad you all were okay and that you hadn't just put out baby tomato plants. I have to say that I just can't believe Maddy is two already! Wow! Have a great week, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 88 days is impressive! Your art is so beautiful and I love the words that go with it. I have trouble writing with my art... I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 88 i still impressive :) I don't think I have really seen anyone manage to actually sketch everyday, it can b really hard when you just are not in the mood

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all gorgeous sketches -- your drawing style is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sketches, I too like doing jigsaw puzzles.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! I always start monthly challenges and make it to about day 8! haha I hope you still try to keep doing your illustration pages. I LOVE them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite honestly 88 days is an amazing achievement! I don't blame you for having a break at all and the last thing you want is to feel burnt out at the end of it. The sketches are gorgeous and inspiring as always :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 88 days is 87 days longer than I would have made it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Serena.....you have certainly lasted a long time at this. BTW.....your sketches a really quite spectacular. Perhaps again next year for you as you suggested. I know you are an artist and it certainly shows.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Serena,
    Hope you are doing well.
    Congratulations for doing 88 of them! I for one, couldn't have done so many. When I have things like that, I feel pressured and instead of working faster, I go slower! :(
    You can always work on them when you have time. So feel proud of what you accomplished! I am a FAN of your art. :)
    Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. You knocked yourself out on the 88 you did - that is something to crow about - I would feel that pressure too, even as artists, we have real life like everyone else to attend to. Somedays I don't feel it - whether I need to paint or draw or not...I love your style - I could recognize your drawings out of a line-up I think. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your turtle sketch is beautiful. You did brilliantly by doing 88 sketches. Serena and I look forward to seeing your drawings always. Relax now and enjoy your sketching processes in your own time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Serena I'm so glad I found your blog via Anita's! You do beautiful sketches!

    ReplyDelete