Thursday 21 June 2018

Scribble Picnic - Plump

Hi everyone!

I'm so sorry that I've been absent for the past two Scribble Picnics. Two weeks ago I was in quite a lot of pain after having an upper molar extracted.  The tooth put up one heck of a fight so my gums were very tender and bruised for longer than usual. In fact, I'm still not fully recovered. I'm not a fan of getting dental work done at the best of times but that had to be the worst tooth extraction I've ever experienced! I thought they had broken my jaw at one point after there was a heap of pressure and force, then a loud CRACK! They assured me it was just the tooth coming away from the bone but I'd never had that happen with previous extractions.

I had intended to do last week's THREE colour option for the picnic but it turned out to be an extra busy week and time got away from me. Such a shame because I was really keen to try that one — I hope Michael will consider giving it another go-round or I may just do it anyways and slip it into a future post.

This week's prompt was 'PLUMP' and I couldn't get past thinking about the row of five Money Plants (aka Crassula Ovata or Jade Plants) lined up along the front entrance to our home.  They are quite mature now with thick tree like shapes.


Their leaves are thick and 'plump'.

I sketched it directly with watercolours and a paintbrush

Some pen detailing and more shadow work to add some depth

And the finished page in my sketchbook

To see what my fellow Scribblers have done for this week, click HERE.
To find out how to join in on the fun each week, click HERE.
Next week's prompt is CRUNCHY — see you at the picnic!

17 comments:

  1. Sorry you had such a rough time with the dental work. I went through similar recently and it took a while to get my mouth back to normal!
    This is a lovely painting Serena - a very pretty plant with those definitely plump leaves.
    Hope you feel much better by next week and will be up for the challenge - you were missed.

    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had a similar ordeal in recent times, Mary. Thanks...and glad you liked my sketch. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautifully done these plump leaves! Sorry to hear about the dental work. Would love to see your 3 colour rendition anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had that cracking sound with most of my extractions, its very unnerving to hear. probably should have sectioned the tooth if it was so hard to get out

    very nice green sketch :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Well that gives me peace of mind because the loud crack did not happen with my two previous extractions. I think they also had the problem of my partially erupted wisdom tooth pushing tight against the molar. I was just relieved when it was over with. I will be wary of future extractions now after that horrible experience. I know you have been through so much worse though with your jaw surgery so I shouldn't complain about one extraction. :)

      Delete
    2. getting any dental work is not fun! complain away! it probably was the wisdom tooth causing the problem, surprised they didnt take both out actually

      Delete
  4. I wondered how the extraction went! I had one wisdom tooth pulled many years ago while I was awake and there was a huge crack when the tooth let loose. I had to help and pull--no fun at all!! Glad you are finally feeling on the mend.

    I love the sketch. And not even any pencil! There's a letter in the mail.
    Love and hugs!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita! Nope, no pencil and the pen detail came after. I was quite pleased with it.

      I wish they would have warned me about the possibility of a loud crack because I panicked a bit thinking they'd broken my jaw. Yes, mine sounded similar to your's...I kinda had to pull against them and the assistant even held my head firm because the dentist was using so much force, my head was being yanked about too. OUCH!

      I'll look forward to your letter.

      Love and hugs xo

      Delete
    2. Yes, that sounds like what I went through. I was exhausted when it was over with. I could sure understand why people wanted to be put under for extractions--but it make you wonder what the hell they do to you when you are out?! But I'd still rather not be awake. ;)

      Delete
  5. Very pretty–the plant and your painting! I used to have a jade plant, but it was just a tiny little thing. I'm not sure I knew they could grow so large.
    We've both been missing these past two weeks. Sorry your absence was health-related. Mine was just calendar overwhelm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jolene! They grow even larger if planted in the ground.

      Life can get in the way for sure...good to be back and glad you are back too. :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry you had such a bad time with the tooth extraction. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Serena :) That is so beautiful! I'm glad to see you back, your scribbles are always inspiring. :) Eegad about the CCCRRRAAACCCKKK during the extraction! I definitely think that the entire dental profession needs to work on sound effects...of maybe eliminate them altogether!!! Hope you're doing well!

    It's busy time for me too, it's our summer here so from May through to about November I'm usually quite absent online, but I'm trying to keep at least one post a week going for the picnic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain!

      I think it would be helpful if the dentist explained what to expect during the procedure too.

      Enjoy your summer! :)

      Delete
  8. IT really is a gorgeous watcercolur painting sketch, Serena. So well don eand such a clever interpretation of the theme. Love it. Thank you. I am sooo sorry to hear of your ongoing sagas though. That tooth extraction had my toes curling backwards! IKes! Scary! I do hope this find you on the mends.

    Oh, and YES, I will do the three colour again as I would love to finish mine which is a self portrait but was harder to do than i expected so also never completed!

    With the summer here I'm wondering if we all need another summer break as many people seem to be gone or too busy to jump in and I have so many things up in the air that it can be challenging for me too.

    ReplyDelete