Tuesday 29 October 2019

Tuesday Reviews Day - Books

Thank you all so much for all the beautiful and caring comments on my last post, and for messsages sent privately, regarding the passing of our last little doggy, Jack. They were so appreciated. Cody and Jack will be forever in our hearts and it comforts me to think that they are together now.

********************************

I'm trying to get back into a routine so here I am with more Tuesday book reviews. I am currently at 62 books of my 80 book goal for the Goodreads Reading Challenge. I do love to read and I am a fairly fast reader, especially since getting my Kindle last year, so there's still hope I will meet the goal by the end of December.

On with the reviews - 

First up is - Have You Seen Luis Velez by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Raymond feels like he doesn't belong. He lives with his mother's new husband and step-siblings and sees his father and his new wife on weekends. His father's wife doesn't seem to like Raymond at all. His best friend has moved away and Raymond feels even more alone. He meets a 92 year old blind woman living in his building who seems persistent on asking anyone who passes if they have seen Luis Velez? Raymond also finds a stray cat that touches his heart and, worried about its safety, takes it to Mildred's apartment. Mildred, though reluctant at first, takes in the cat and a friendship starts to grow between her and Raymond.

It turns out that Luis Velez was Mildred's caretaker until he didn't show up one day leaving her to fend for herself. Raymond steps in to help her as he is concerned for Mildred and worries that she is giving up. So he sets himself a mission to track down Luis Velez.

My thoughts - I'm a big fan of Catherine Ryan Hyde's heartwarming stories. I shed quite a few tears throughout this book as Raymond crosses paths with lots of people in his quest to find Luis Velez. He and Millie become very close and their friendship helps him cope with his own feelings of not belonging. I gave this one a 5 star rating.

********************************

Next up - The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

At the start, this book takes us to France in 1939. Vianne bids farewell to her husband when he leaves for the front never believing that the Nazis would invade France. She is devastated to find out she was wrong, especially when an enemy officer takes up residence in her home. She has a young daughter and she also has friends who are Jews so, when the Nazis start rounding up Jews for the camps, the situation reaches crisis point.  Vianne makes some high risk decisions which could put them all in imminent danger.

Vianne's sister, Isabelle, is only 18 years old and lives with Vianne until she can no longer cope with an enemy living in the house. Her outspoken attitude could prove dangerous for them all. The sisters have a bit of a rocky relationship and criticise each other. Isabelle ends up moving away and working undercover for the Resistance. 

My thoughts - I LOVED this book! I LIVED in this book! Both sisters had to deal with some horrific circumstances. The relationship with Isabelle and her father was non-existent but further things come to light on that score as the book progresses. The author portrays the heroic natures of 'ordinary' people in times of crisis. I cried, no, I sobbed, on quite a few occasions so be forewarned to have those tissues handy. It scored a 5 star rating from me!

********************************

Lastly - Becky: The Heartbreaking Story of Becky Watts by Her Father Darren Galsworthy

In 2015, 16 year old Bristol schoolgirl, Becky Watts, was murdered and dismembered by her own stepbrother, Nathan Matthews. The crime shocked the nation and totally devastated her family. Darren, her father, writes this heartfelt and heart-wrenching account of Becky's life and the ultimate betrayal by a boy he had raised as his own. 

I had previously watched a crime video about Becky's murder on YouTube so, when this book showed up in my recommended reading list via Amazon Kindle, I bought it.  Understandably, Darren Galsworthy's world fell apart after learning of the unspeakable crime that stole his daughter from him. He was clearly a devoted and loving father.  Darren's book takes us back to the beginning, to before Becky was born.  He shares many fun and happy times that the family experienced together before it all came to a shocking end years later.

I felt heartbroken for Darren, his wife, Anjie (step mum to Becky), and for Becky's brother, Daniel. I gave this book 5 stars!  

********************************

On that sad note, I will wrap up the reviews for this week.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Serena :) I can't comment on the books because I just don't read as often as I want to! But I wanted to say hello, see how you're doing and send you lots of hugs!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain!

      So lovely of you to drop in on my blog. I've barely been online since this post. Hope to be posting again soon.

      Happy New Year to you! xo

      Delete
  2. Goodness! Sounds like all three of these would be hard on my heart. But books I'd like to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good. I think you would like them despite being hard on the heart. xo

      Delete
  3. wow, these all sound good! I am back into reading more. I just read a really old one i found in a bookstore from the 90's and a movie was made of it. "a Home at the End of the World.. Michael cummings I think it is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of that one but I googled it....sounds interesting. What did you think of it?

      Delete
  4. congrats on getting so much reading done, I will probably not reach my goal this year unless all I do is read for the next 2 months lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's the thing...finding the time which isn't always easy. I managed to reach my goal of 80 books for 2019 but I've lowered the goal to 40 books for 2020. I plan to get back to focusing on my art more this year. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Serena... just popped in to say hi and wish you and yours a Happy New Year... hope this is a good one..for us all.

    Hugs, Vee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vee,

      Lovely of you to drop by my blog! Wishing you a very Happy New Year too.

      Hugs,
      Serena xo

      Delete