Thursday 22 October 2020

A day trip to Redcliffe to see The Bee Gees Way

This week is flying by!

Most weeks, we usually have a cards night at my sister and brother-in-law's place and, at the last one, we planned to go see The Bee Gees Way on Sunday. Bradley, being a major music buff, was particularly excited about seeing the tribute monument and all the memorabilia dedicated to the Bee Gees. 

The Bee Gees first arrived in Australia from England in the late 50's and Redcliffe became their home. It was approximately an hours drive to Redcliffe and, when we arrived at the entrance, it was walled off and we were greeted with this sign (see below). It was a disappointment to see The Bee Gees Way was closed for renovations but we chose not to let it spoil the day.


After a stroll through the busy Redcliffe Markets, Bradley treated us all to lunch at the Sandgate Post Office Hotel. This beautiful old building was a Post Office from 1887 right up until 2009 so quite a lot of history behind it.

The hotel has a lovely old world charm with a few pieces of memorabilia from yester-year like this Wurlitzer jukebox. I don't think it's operational — more for display.

An old fireplace — not sure if it is still a working one. 
The modern TV on the wall above seemed quite out of place.

We felt so relaxed at the hotel — or perhaps that was more due to the Espresso Martinis we had with lunch which were super delicious!


The staff were very friendly and it was such great service. For lunch, Brad and I had the Vegan Parmigiana which is Crumbed eggplant with napoli sauce, sliced tomatoes and vegan cheese served with hot chips and salad. It was so delicious! Forgot to take a photo unfortunately. Next time. Thanks for the treat, Brad. xo

After lunch, we went for a walk along the Sandgate/Shorncliffe foreshore — Lovers Walk is the esplanade we chose as it was right along the waters edge and took us down to the Shorncliffe Pier from Sandgate. Next time, we plan to take the other route where it is promised we will see lots of turtles.

As you can see from my hair, it was a very windy day. lol
I gave up trying to keep it in order. 
Photo collage above is courtesy of my sister, Angela.
All other photos, unless otherwise stated, are taken by me.

View of the beach

There were a lot of kite-surfers on the water that day. 
The strong winds made ideal conditions for them.


The tide was out but coming back in

Shorncliffe Pier

A few of the signs along the Pier 



Brad taking photos with his iPhone

At the end of the Pier - My sister, Angela, and brother-in-law, Peter, with Brad

And a couple with me in it

Photo below is courtesy of Bradley

On the way back to the car I took the photo below of an old church. 
It is classified as Gothic Architecture and was built in 1887.

Not long after, an unfortunate accident happened — I had started using my walking stick because my hip was hurting from the long walk. However, the walking stick jarred on a bit of uneven concrete, which sent me off balance, and I fell, face-planting onto the concrete. 

Thankfully, my bag protected my hip, but my big toe and chin copped a nasty hit. I also had minor grazes on my thighs, hands, and top of my feet. My toe was bleeding all over the place as I was wearing thongs. My chin was badly grazed, spotting blood, and already bruising. Pete raced off to Woollies to buy Band-Aids, Betadine antiseptic cream, and some Panadol.  Thanks, Pete.

Not the best way to end such a lovely day out but we all agreed that the injuries from my fall could have been a lot worse. It's three days later and the body aches from the fall are easing but my chin is still very tender. 

We are already looking forward to our next outing. 

Love, Light and Peace to all. 

14 comments:

  1. Oh no!! I'm reading along about this wonderful excursion on such a beautiful (albeit windy) day...and you fell! Oh no! I hope you are all better soon. It does look like a great day even if the BeeGees museum wasn't open. I like your hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita. I'm also fully over the fall. I'm still sporting a tender lump under my chin. It will eventually fade I hope.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a lovely day, despite having to change your plans because the BeeGees Way was closed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouch! about your fall ☹️ I can relate about bad falls happening after a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've had some falls yourself over the years. No fun, that's for sure.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed all the photos and yoyr description of your day out with Bradley, your sis and BIL. I really like your hair - color and length - it looks good on you. Okay have to say i really stayed a bit too long on the photo with the expresso martini and the description of your meal..lol ... Sounds like a great day all around except for you fall at the end! sorry about that and glad to read it's getting better. i love the BeeGees - would have loved to ss that. Too bad it was closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! Had to laugh at your comment regarding the espresso martini. We plan to go back when the tribute is open again so I'll be sure to post photos then too. :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a delightful time for all ~ beautiful photos ~ what a great place ^_^


    Live each moment with love,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ps. thanks for your loving words about the loss of my dear fur person ~ I miss her but have a sweet little rescue yorkie which helps ~ love her Xox ~~ Big healing hugs to you at your loss of your sweet fur persons ~ they never stay long enough~ sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol.

      How lovely that you have another Yorkie to love and dote over. Thanks for your kind words on the loss of my fur-babies too. xo

      Delete
  6. Well although your lovely day ended in a mishap I am glad it was not worse. Little falls can create so much of havoc. The photos are lovely. The hair bit I can sympathise with you. I find whenever we go out or are on holiday there is so much of wind that most of my holiday pics are with wind blown hair😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shashi. OH yes, the windy days definitely play havoc with the hair. I doubt I'd have been able to even keep a hat on my head that day, the winds were so strong and gusty. lol

      Delete
  7. good grief!! it could, indeed, have been worse. Teeth and face ...yikes! You could have broken all sorts of things. Sending you get well wishes....
    In case this shows up as anon....it's me ....nothing sorted yet with my blogger and my provider ...
    Vee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vee. Yes, you are showing as Unknown but luckily the comment still came through to me. I hope the Blogger issue is sorted soon for you. xo

      Delete