Tuesday 4 January 2022

happy new year and some daily sketches



I hope you all had a nice New Year's Eve! It was fairly quiet here. After a yummy vegan dinner, we played cards — 5 Crowns.  Then we ended up watching my favourite Narnia movie — The Dawn Treader. It finished not long before it was time to ring in the New Year. Brad and I did break with our tradition of staying up all night and ended up going to bed around 1am. However, we were back up at 3:30am to greet the first dawn of 2022.
 
Towards the end of December 2021, my art studio had yet another refresh. It went from this  —

To this —


We moved one of the tables that were in the centre of the room over to the wall. So I have an extended surface space to work on.  As we had two sliding doors adjacent to each other in the living area, we decided to treat the one in my studio as though it were a wall. I love the new layout. It works so much better for me.

I think this studio refresh motivated me to attempt another 365 Day challenge. So the plan is to sketch daily. This can mean a sketch done in graphite, charcoal, ink or watercolour.  I won't be posting daily here but I have been posting daily over on Instagram, so far. I plan to blog my sketches here every few days or once a week. 

So here is Day 1 — A fake rubber tree plant

I'm not afraid to admit that I nearly fizzled out on the first day of the challenge. I was feeling so tired from the late night and lack of sleep. I'd even gone off to bed BUT thoughts of the challenge gnawed at me until I grabbed my sketchbook and, from my bed, sketched the fake rubber tree plant in my room. 

Day 2 — A toy giraffe which is actually one of the dogs' toys
 
Sketched while sitting in the lounge-room
 
Day 3 — Weights

I find it hard deciding on what to sketch each day. Yesterday (3rd), after much procrastination, I settled on a pair of my weights. I plan to actually use them this year. lol 

And that's it for now. I haven't settled on a subject for today's sketch yet. Wish me luck...
 
An quick update on my Mum - The Aged Care Home, along with over 10 others, is now in Lockdown. Apparently, a fully-vaccinated staff member tested positive for Covid as well as a resident who caught it in hospital and tested positive after returning to the Home. This means that we are not allowed to visit Mum until further notice. Thank goodness for her iPad as it's Mum's connection to us. We message frequently. She tells me that residents are confined to their rooms, close contact staff are wearing hazmat-style protective gear, and they are taking her temperature frequently. I'm glad to hear they are taking it seriously.

Australia, particularly Queensland, had been doing so well until they opened the borders, State and International. Currently, Queensland is 86.6% fully vaccinated which helps to prevent a Covid infection becoming life-threatening but there are those of us who are vulnerable and have underlying health conditions.
 
Prior to our borders opening, Queensland had 0 to 5 cases daily whereas NOW, we just had 4,249 new cases in the last 24 hours and 487 of those are in Metro South, my region.  Those numbers will continue to grow. Currently there are 10 people in ICU in Queensland.

New South Wales just hit a record 24hr case total of 23,131 while Victoria hit 14,020 new daily cases. 

We just had a man in his 30's die from suspected Covid in his home at the Gold Coast. Things are getting scary for us! I wish they'd kept our borders closed. Life was fairly safe and normal for us until they opened the borders. I'll feel better when my sons and I have our boosters. I worry about my kids in the workplace and being exposed to it.

I hope you all stay safe and well.

Love, Light and Peace

16 comments:

  1. Lovely art Serena, Happy New Year! Glad your mom can use her Ipad. The whole world is in lockdown, very scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine.
      It certainly is a scary world at the moment with no end in sight yet.

      Delete
  2. I love your new studio area! Lovely sketches.
    This new variant is really scary because it is so contagious. I'm glad they are being really careful where your mom is. Stay safe! love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita.
      Yep, it's very scary here right now. xx

      Delete
  3. Happy new year!

    Good luck with the drawing challenge.

    I'm glad they're taking it so seriously in your Mum's care home, but sorry they have Covid there at all. Hope she stays safe. I also hope you and the boys stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tori.
      I'm upset that they opened up way too soon. The new variant hadn't long been active and it spreads quickly. :(

      Delete
  4. A 365 day challenge, wow!!! I love your sketches, I hope to see 362 more! ;) Your studio looks so nice! No wonder you're motivated!! A little refresh now and then is wonderful. We are in the same boat, once they started letting people into our province freely, the numbers shot up from dozens to thousands...the world needs to go on a 2 week lockdown all at the same time and maybe we'll beat this thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain. I'll be posting more sketches soon.

      The way things are going, I think we are all going to get Covid and we just have to hope the vaccines do their job. I worry mostly for my eldest son who already has a life-threatening condition. :(

      Delete
  5. Hello my dear friend. I have changed browsers and now can post on your beautiful blog. Your art room is fabulous. Now you know how much I admire your art. You are just amazing. Even though it is the 5th I am going to get back to sketching every day. I am glad to hear that the home where your mum is are taking covid seriously. I am so sorry for the covid numbers there. It is the same here in the US. Plus, we have so many fighting the vaccine and wear a mask. I am sorry to say that includes my family. Stay safe, and create beauty for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole,

      I'm so glad you can post here now. Thanks for your lovely comment on my art. I'll look forward to seeing more of your sketches.

      We have the deniers here too. So frustrating. It's like they can't comprehend what's happening before their very eyes. I've read of many cases in the States where an anti-vax/Covid denier ends up with Covid and then begs for the vaccine when it's too late...and they end up dying. Senseless! We need vaccines as history has shown us with things like Polio, Tetanus, etc. We even have flu vaccines. It's turned into a very crazy world. :(

      Delete
  6. Just looking at your sketches and your studio room inspires me. I'm beginning to get inspired again. Sorry to hear about the place where you mother is at and whats going on. I love all your sketches ...! Hope u have a great year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sandy. Not sure if I'll manage a sketch/drawing every day but I do plan to continue to the end even if I do miss the occasional one.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year, Serena!

    Your art room has nice light and I love how neat looking it is. You're a tidy person. :) I always enjoy your realistic sketches. You're quite good. Our youngest daughter has Covid for the second time. She's not sure of the strain, though. I heard Omicron will boost your immunity to other variants if you contract it but we'll see how that pans out. I'm thankful DD#2 isn't feeling as bad with it as the first time but still it's not pleasant. Hopefully, she'll be over this quickly. It's all frightening, though. Here's hoping 2022 is good to you and yours, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. I'm so sorry to hear about your youngest daughter. I hope she recovers quickly. It is all very frightening for sure. x

      Delete
  8. happy new year!!

    not good your mom's care home is in lockdown but sounds like they are taking things seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I'm late visiting. I've had no internet or phone since Monday, but stopped by to say I love the new layout and that you are sketching again. I am not on Instagram, so I am glad you will be sharing here on occasion, too. Happy belated new year, Serena. Sorry to read about your mom and your country's covid numbers. They are out of control in the states.

    ReplyDelete