Saturday 29 January 2022

studio, sketches, and a lizard

Hello everyone, 
 
WOW! February is just around the corner — this year is already moving fast. 
 
I've only managed a couple of sketches since my last post. 
 
A pelican sketched in ink from my own reference photo. Sorry it's a bit blurry. It was taken in the early morning, still dark outside, so lighting wasn't the best.


Second sketch was of my cat mug which I have in my studio. It holds all the brushes and combs for Kya and Teenie. It usually holds more than 2 items but the rest is currently in the laundry where I normally do the grooming. 
 
This one was done using graphite, watercolour, and a bit of white gouache.
 
Speaking of my studio, we changed the new layout a little bit more. We turned the end desk so it was right angled to form a U-shape to the studio. I loved it before but I love it even more now.

 
Kya wondered what was going on

 but approved the change
 
Yesterday, I heard some hissing coming from our front entrance. I checked it out and found a poor blue-tongued lizard being pecked at by a young adult magpie. As much as I like magpies, I couldn't allow her to be pecked to death so, I shooed the magpie away, grabbed a cardboard box, and managed to get her into it. While blue-tongued lizards aren't aggressive, they have been known to bite if they feel threatened and she was already stressed enough from the magpie attack. She was approximately 15" in length.
 
I released her into our front garden where she had plenty of plant cover to hide and recover from her ordeal. I did try to get a photo of her blue tongue which she popped out here and there but I kept missing the moment. After posing for a few snaps, she moved off under the protection of the ground plants where I hope she remains safe. As for gender, she could well be a he — I did research it but it's not easy to tell, however, I felt it could be female. That said, I'm certainly no expert.

By the way, last week, I attempted to comment on several of my friends' blogs and Blogger wouldn't do anything at all when I hit the Publish comment button. So frustrating! I hope they've sorted it now.
 
That wraps up my post for today. I hope you are all enjoying a lovely weekend. 
 
Love, Light and Peace

20 comments:

  1. I would have saved the lizard too. I know magpie's need to eat, but not where I can see or even more so, hear it. I would love to see the blue tongue so I am going to go look them up. And your studio looks amazing Serena. As do your drawings. It must be the new studio set up that makes the magic happened. Smile. Hope your weekend is going well. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erika. Agreed and that lizard was way too big for one young magpie.

      Delete
  2. Amazing what a difference it makes with furniture arrangement. That is some lizard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. It was the first blue-tongue lizard that I've seen in a long time so I was quite happy to see it.

      Delete
  3. I love your sketches and i like that you explained about graphite and then using white gouche...gave me some inspiration and ideas. And that lizard - what a beautiful creature - i love lizards. Your office would inspire anyone to sit down and create. My office is my bed. I sit on it to sketch, paint, or do digital art. I sat at a desk for 30 years transcribing medical records and now sitting at a desk drives me crazy but i could do your desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy.

      With the gouache, I mixed a little with the watercolours to make them lighter and more opaque. It worked well.

      I love lizards too.

      I can see why a desk would drive you crazy after working at one for 30 years.

      Delete
  4. Love all your sketches. It has been hard going to be creative in these times for many but at least you are doing . That lizard looks beautiful. Glad you could save it. I too have been having difficulty posting comments in some blogs . My comments don’t seem to go through. Hope this comes through

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shashi.

      Yes, Blogger has been quite temperamental of late.

      Delete
  5. Studio looks even more inviting!
    Great sketches, of course. :)
    I am glad you saved the lizard!! Poor thing.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita. I hope you have a wonderful week too. xx

      Delete
  6. Love your sketches, Serena - the studio space with the U configuration is so inviting, 'step into the den of creativity!' Your space looks so clean and well organized, makes my mess look like a tornado hit. Your kitty is so pretty. Poor lizard. Magpies can be so aggressive. We watched one attack a baby rabbit (which surprised me) from our RV a couple of seasons ago. Relentless, until we chased it off. The bunny had time to run and hide. In Kansas we had blue tailed skinks, looked very similar, but much smaller. thanks for stopping by - I appreciate your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pattie. My studio can look messy when I'm actually creating.

      I'm glad the baby rabbit got away.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful studio you have!!!
    I love your cat mug, I LOVE your cat!! and I also love the lizard. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica.

      I knew you would like my cat and mug being a big cat person yourself. I was quite happy to see a blue-tongue lizard in my yard. It's been years since I've seen one. :)

      Delete
  8. You have a beautiful studio. So organized and clean. Your art is amazing. I wish I had some of your talent. Cut Kittie. That is a beautiful blue-tongued lizard. So glad you save her. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole. I hope you have a great day too. xx

      Delete
  9. Kya looks so cute and comfortable 😀
    and thank you for saving the lizard, they deserve help too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do. We have a lot of small to medium skinks around our yard and I always tell them to be careful and stay safe from the birds. Yes, I'm one of those nuts who talk to wildlife. lol

      Delete
  10. Good to know Kya approves of the changes to your art studio as much as you do. LOL!

    Hope you're able to comment on blogs by now.

    Glad you were able to rescue the lizard. Hope she remains safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tori. More about lizards in an upcoming post. :)

      Delete