Monday 7 March 2022

floods, more lizards and a catch up

I've been feeling quite overwhelmed of late. 
 
The rains came a few weeks back and they turned Biblical — non-stop torrential downpours which caused major flooding from the Sunshine Coast (including Hinterlands and Inland areas) down to South East Queensland. I'm so grateful to live in an area where we have been safe from flooding despite having a creek at the end of our street. There were a lot of road closures, our region included, due to flooding over the roads. Sadly, so many homes went under with people being rescued from flooded homes and rooftops. In a span of just three days, we received 80% of our annual rainfall which, for a sub-tropical area when not in drought, is a lot! Sadly, 11 lives were lost due to the floods. Not all, but some were due to attempts to drive across flooded roads and then being washed away. People don't account for the strength of the current, not to mention the fact that, once the water or moisture gets into their car's distributor, it dies and they're stuck in rising waters. It's heartbreaking to think that some of those deaths were avoidable.

The rains eventually cleared and moved down through New South Wales where it wreaked havoc with floods and loss of life there too.  A major clean up is in progress now. We have more rain on the forecast but not another deluge, I hope. 

We've had major flood events like this in 1974, 1996, 2011, and 2013. We've had significant flash floods in the years in-between too but the thing I notice is that we've had more major flood events in the span of 10 years whereas, previously, it was decades between major flood events. Add to that our biblical bushfire event through 2019/2020. Bush-fires here are seasonal due to our extreme heat but I believe global climate change is making them more extreme. I know that La NiƱa has played a role this time with the torrential rains but scientists have also stated the event has been a lot worse than would have been expected.  Some scientists say that it will eventually get so hot here that living on the surface will become unbearable and we will end up moving underground, like in Coober Pedy in northern South Australia where summer temps can get to 52.7°C/127°F. Most of the town is underground. 
 
 *****

During the torrential rains, I had a fall — slipped in the water the doggies dripped after having a drink...didn't see it. My legs went out from under me and I came crashing down onto my butt and hips. I couldn't put my hands out to help as I was carrying stuff. For hours, from the mid-back down and my hips felt frozen with weird sensations, if that makes sense. I wasn't in pain but it was extreme discomfort, pain came later. So I did see the doctor who ordered X-rays and an Ultrasound of my right hip. I kinda knew there would be no fractures as I wasn't in severe pain. I was most concerned about my hip tendons after having tendon surgery in 2019 and the symptoms were much the same as when I tore the tendons. Unfortunately, ultrasounds aren't great for picking up tendon tears. Last time, one U/S said there was no tear yet an MRI clearly showed there was. Anyway, this U/S said 'no tear' but there is Bursitis and inflammation —same as when I had the torn tendons. The plan is to give it a couple of weeks. Do some Physio. If it hasn't helped, my doctor will refer me back to Orthopaedics. I hope that won't be necessary.

*****

After the rains eased, Aaron (son) found a teeny-weeny baby Eastern Bearded Dragon lizard in the large drain we have in the back yard. He must have become trapped and then exhausted himself trying to get out. We thought he was dead at first until I spotted a slight movement in his eyelid. We immediately went into rescue mode. Aaron set up a more suitable environment and we popped to the pet shop to buy heat bulbs and UVB bulbs, and crickets. Reptiles use thermoregulation to manage their body temperatures. This means they rely heavily on external factors, heat from the sun, and cools spots in the shade, so we had to replicate that artificially.

He was about 4" in length so possibly only 2 to 3 weeks old. He was eating the crickets and enjoying the warmth, and recovered very well. Sorry the pics are a little blurry. It was hard to focus in on him as he was so tiny.
 
 
Australia has very strict laws when it comes to their wildlife. It is illegal to take an animal from the wild and keep it as a pet. The next morning, we dropped this precious baby into our local vet who would then have contacted Wildlife Carers in the area and they will care for and rehabilitate him. 

The lizard story doesn't end there so stay tuned for more in an upcoming post. 

This is the problem after being away from my blog for a month. I have so much to talk about. 
 
 *****
 
On a more unsettling topic, I'm sure you are all in shock and disgusted with the events happening in the Ukraine — as am I. Putin is downright insane and dangerous! This war was unprovoked. My heart goes out to the Ukrainian people and my thoughts and prayers are with them. I pray that Putin doesn't succeed. He has made sure that a lot of Russians are being fed fake news. He is telling many lies to his people and they believe him. Remind you of someone else? I've read where Russian soldiers are shocked that they are meeting with resistance because they thought they were on a peace-keeping mission and would be welcomed. More of Putin's lies. I wish there was more that the rest of world could do to help the Ukraine, apart from the Sanctions. Thank goodness, neighbouring countries are taking in the refugees fleeing this horrible and unjustifiable war. It's heart-wrenching! Where will it all end? Scary thoughts...
 
On the home-front, our Prime Minister has committed to setting up a nuclear submarine base in either Newcastle, Port Kembla, or Brisbane (where I live). Scott Morrison said it is to support the future nuclear submarine fleet in partnership with the US. Our relations with China haven't been the best since we agreed, along with other nations, that there needed to be an investigation into how Coronavirus started in Wuhan. China turned very nasty. Our Prime Minister believes that Russia and China are aligning to reshape the international order. More scary thoughts...

So finally I will end this post. Is that a shout of joy I hear from the Peanut Gallery?

I will post again soon. 

Love, Light and Peace

21 comments:

  1. I saw the floods on TV. They looked awful, but glad you survived them without any damage. Not so with you. Your fall doesn't sound fun. I hope you are feeling better very soon. And of yes, Putin and Trump share the same playbook. SCARY that people actually believe them. Add China to the mix and the world sounds like it is going insane again-first covid and now these aggressive countries-or should I say leaders. Let's hope something good happens and realigns the world-quickly. Happy new week Serena. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parts of eastern Australia are still recovering from the floods. It was devastating for so many.

      I'll never understand how Trump was ever elected. I think the majority around the world were stunned. They played a dirty campaign and it showed just how gullible people can be to actually believe the lies over the truths.

      Yes, let's hope things take a turn for the better.

      Have a lovely weekend! xx

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about your fall but nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! That fall sounds terrible! I hope you improve without too much intervention.
    So glad you saved the little bearded dragon. What a cutie pie.
    The flooding sounds unbelievable. The western US has had a lot more wildfires the last several years, too. Drought just keeps going.
    Putin is as insane as Trump...but he's carved himself a position where he can do even more harm. Prayers for Ukraine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Climates around the world are in the extremes. Like some of the scientists, I do wonder if we are past the point of return. We had our chance to rectify the damage we caused but most politicians chose to dismiss climate change as being non-existent. Our future generations will have one helluva mess on their hands.

      Yes, Putin and Trump are both narcissistic and nuts!

      Have a relaxing weekend. xo

      Delete
  4. So sorry to read about the flooding, but glad you were not affected. I saw some of the images coming from there, and they didn't look good.

    I am so sorry to read about your fall. I can truly empathize. I fell last week in my craft room when I tripped my foot on the broken anti-static mat. I was holding a full drawer of rubber stamps (wood mounted). I lost my balance and fell backward on my bottom. If I hadn't been holding that tray of stamps, which flew in all directions, I would more than likely have put my hand out to catch my fall and more than likely broken something. As it is, I landed on a "cushion," rather than a breakable arm. I am sorry to read that your hip might have been affected, too.

    Please don't get me started on Putin. You would be reading until the cows came home if I unleashed how I feel about him and his cronies. There now seems to be enough proof that he has commited war crimes and I hope The Hague tries him for them.

    Glad to see you are back and posting again, dear.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your caring words, Elizabeth. There is still major flood clean-ups going on in areas on the eastern side of Australia. Some people have lost everything. :(

      OH no! Falls can be scary! I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself. I've been on anti-inflammatory meds which have helped a lot.

      I hope Putin has to answer for war crimes but it seems like he is getting away with all the destruction and death. I truly hope he doesn't end up taking over the Ukraine.

      Have a lovely weekend! xx

      Delete
  5. ouch! the fall sounds painful :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear of the flooding, your fall and the sadness in your post. It is a hard, strange world we live in right now. There is so much going on and we just can't take it all in. We can't take the fact that there isn't much we can do about any of it. Know that you are a special woman that creates with so much talent and that shared brings joy. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Nicole. xx

      Delete
  7. I had no idea about all that rain and the flooding. hoping all those affected by it will find help and shelter if needed and their lives can heal . Weather is so strange all over, that's for sure. And your fall - i feel for you and hope you heal up quick with whatever it takes. I love lizards, always have. A favorite thing to do is visit them if I'm in a pet store somewhre. I always get photos if possible. Anyway, take care and good to see a post from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes, Sandy. Glad to hear you love lizards too.

      Have a wonderful weekend,
      Serena xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Serena! Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry about your fall. I hope you heal well! Nice going saving that lizard, I love to hear rescue stories and will definitely stay tuned for the update! 52 degrees is more than intolerable, it's again as you said, biblical. That's crazy! I whine and complain when it's 35 or 40!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes, Rain. I hate our sauna-like summers and, like you, I whine about it. lol Mind you, since getting the air-con, it has made them more bearable.

      Have a great weekend and I hope baby Oscar is doing better now. xx

      Delete
  9. Thanks, Tracy. I like the name Murphy. My son called his Xena...more on that soon.

    Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weather is more extreme all over these days. We're getting a lot more storms too. Not as bad as in some places, but worse than is normal for us. And, I agree: it's sad some of those deaths could have been prevented. Too many lives are lost unavoidably to things like that, without foolish people taking risks and adding to those numbers.

    Glad you found the little lizard in time. Hope he did well and will be rehabilitated.

    The fall sounds painful. I hope things do improve with physio and time, and any further treatment won't be needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the little lizard is being cared for until it is old enough for release.

      My hip and back still aren't right but will give it more time.

      Have a lovely week, Tori. xx

      Delete
  11. Serena so sorry to hear about your fall and subsequent problems. Like you have been having problems with lhips thought it was slipped disc again. After MRI i am told i have arthritis in that hip. Oh the joys of getting old. Glad you were able to save the little critter.
    Yes what an ugly world we live in. I look at the news and I can’t bear to think what the people in Ukraine are going through. Yet there are countries and we all know who they are they are supporting this crime that is taking place. I feel disgusted at my own birth country who will not denounce Russia just for its own selfish reasons. Today the news was even worse that children are being kidnapped by the Russians. This guy is the lowest of the lows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you are also dealing with hip issues. It can be debilitating at times with it being a weight-bearing area. Sending well wishes your way, Shashi.

      Greed and power seems to be what drives these maniacs in charge. It's scary! :(

      Have a lovely week! xx

      Delete