Sunday 27 March 2022

something fishy this way comes...

It's been a fairly busy month and I even did some painting. Aaron, my son wanted an aquarium scene done for his bedroom and, typical of Aaron, it had to be done 'yesterday'. 

So it was rush-rush...and not a small piece either. I designed it on the go over three days...


Aaron wanted it done in a similar style to the previous fish painting I did for him years ago....so NOT my usual style. 
 
Background first....

Then painting in some of the elements

Some refining of the pebble base with more elements...

Some fish, refining rocks and more plants...

This (see below) is where Aaron called it finished because he just wanted it on his wall. lol You will spot the Angel fish and the Betta fish. However, the Neon Tetras (upper-mid right) and Corydoras (lower left) are not so easy to see in the pic but more visible in reality. A Bristlenose Catfish and some Epistogramma Cichlids were also planned but I didn't get the chance to paint them in. Maybe at a later date...

 
In its new spot on the wall 

In keeping with the fishy theme, I thought you might like to see some of the goldfish in Aaron's pond on the back patio.
 

There are Shubunkin, Oranda and a couple of Telescope-eyed, butterfly fish — all goldfish species.



********

On another note, are any of you participating in Sketchbook Revival hosted by Karen Abend? I've been watching the videos and doing a little here and there. Some are not my cup of tea but I do like to watch the videos regardless. Inspiration can be found everywhere. 

Anyway, that wraps up my post for today. I hope you are all keeping well. 

Love, Light and Peace
 

27 comments:

  1. That was amazing for three days--OMG! Looks great there, too, with the tanks and plants. Love seeing the fish pond, too.
    I am watching the videos for Sketchbook Revival. Haven't done any of them--LOL! But am enjoying most of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita. I was quite pleased with myself as it's been years since I've done a canvas painting.

      I started a couple of the Sketchbook Revival lessons but didn't finish. For the most part they aren't my cup of tea but I might gain some inspiration so I'll continue to watch the videos. :)

      Delete
  2. I can see why he wanted a fish scene painting. He does have some tanks, and the painting is not only gorgeous, but fits in perfectly. You did a super job Serena. Good for you to get something done like that so quickly also. Hope March has been well. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erika. March has been busy but good. xx

      Delete
  3. That is a fabulous piece for the aquarium Tracey your son must love it! The fish are gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is stunning. I love seeing how you work. The progression is lovely. I will check out the Sketchbook Revival. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if you didn't get to spend as long on it as you'd have liked, it must be nice to know your son has enough appreciation of your talent for art that he requested a piece from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a few paintings for Aaron over the years and yes, it's nice that he likes my art. :) xx

      Delete
  6. I can't believe you created this in a mere three days, dear. You are amazing. I saw the tetras, but not the Corydoras (or maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for).

    Every year I sign up for the Sketchbook project and every year I fail to create a single thing. At least you are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. I would have liked to spend more time on it but Aaron is not the most patient son. lol The Corydoras are sitting on the pebbles at the bottom left side. You might notice an orange-brown shapes with a black stripe...there are 3 of them.

      Yes, the projects aren't really my thing but hopefully, it will inspire me to keep on creating. xx

      Delete
  7. I love your aquarium scene. I've been saving off photos on instagram of aquariums because i'm enjoying see all the fish. I love the pond. We had one where we use to live but wildlife would come to fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Aaron loves his aquariums.

      We are concerned about neighbour's cats as one has taken to lying under the back patio at night and we are hoping it doesn't notice the pond fish. Our security cameras pick up a variety of cats from around the neighbourhood and they seem to like our yard for some reason. Most frustrating when, by law, they are supposed to keep their cats indoors at night to protect the wildlife. :(

      Delete
    2. Your painting is really stunning Serena! I bet Aaron loved it.
      Thank you so much for your comments on my blog, they really meant a lot to me. My husband seems fine now, but we'll see what the MRI says on Friday. Praying it will be clear.
      Alison

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Alison. Aaron did love it.

      I do hope the MRI results are good. xx

      Delete
  8. the painting is great and looks wonderful next to the aquariums 😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Serena!!! Great photos of the fish!!! And the painting!!! Thank you for sharing your progress photos, great artwork!! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rain. I'm glad you liked the progress pics. 😊

      Delete
  10. Thanks, Tracy! :)

    It's hard to believe that Kya used to be a mostly outdoor cat with her previous owners but she has been 100% indoors with us since October 2019. They adapt well to indoors once they get used to it. Our state government has strict rules when it comes to cats because they do so much harm to the wildlife we have. We even have to pay an annual registration fee just as we do for our dogs.

    True...hopefully the pond water will make our night-time feline visitor think twice about the fish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That painting, wow!!!!!! I love your fish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The painting is gorgeous. Perfect for the room with fish tanks. He has some lovely fish too

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogger seems to be playing up for me. I don’t know why my comments don’t go through. I am tryin* once more . Serena the painting is gorgeous perfect for the room with the fish. The fish are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your original comment did go through, Shashi....thanks. My comment settings are set so that, if someone comments on a post more than 2 weeks after the post was created, I have to moderate the comment. This helps to cut down on Spam comments.

      Delete