Monday 8 May 2017

Moment catching and Sunday Sketches

Once a month, Candace Rardon hosts the Moment Catchers sketch challenge. Basically, it's where you sketch views of your weekend. It gives me an excuse to get out and explore Brissie.

This weekend, Bradley (son) and I decided to go for a walk at our local wetlands. I have posted about Berrinba Wetlands before so, if you are interested, you can read about those times HERE.

The information centre I guess you would call it although it's always empty when we are there.

The huge sign at the start of the walkway.

From the lookout point, I was excited to see quite a few pelicans gathered on the rock formation busily preening themselves and soaking up the warmth of the sun. I ADORE pelicans!

We crossed a few different types of bridges on our walk

I always feel a little sad when I see a downed tree. I wondered if it was from the aftermath of Cyclone Debbie...we did have gale-force winds.

We also met this little character.  Relax....it's not a snake! It is, in fact, a Burton's Legless Lizard and I do plan to add him into the sketchbook spread below. Lizards have a long, pointy head and they also have eyelids and a fleshy tongue...key characteristics that snakes don't have.

And now to my sketch from our venture.  I apologise for the poor lighting. It is not a complete page spread but I'm liking how it so far. I will also be adding text about our time there.

Now for my contribution to Sunday Sketches hosted by the lovely Alexandra Macvean.  I decided to sketch a pair of eyes. Here, the paper is still quite wet hence the rippling.


And the final stage

To see the work of other participants for this week's Sunday Sketches, click HERE.
To find out how to join us each week, click HERE.
Hope to see you next week!

10 comments:

  1. Your eye painting is so beautiful as is your page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful eyes and wonderful sketch ~ also great photos from your walk ~ favorite is the bridge shot ~ thanks for coming by with your wonderful comments ~

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. What eyes! I wish I had lashes like those!
    When I saw the critter the first thing I thought was--that snake has the weirdest deformed head! No wonder. It's a legless lizard. Whew! I like pelicans, too. So comical.
    Awesome sketch page spread of your trip--and that you included the photos, too!
    Love and hugs from Fargo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you and Bradley were able to get out to the wetlands for a while over the weekend, and that you seem to have enjoyed the outing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful place to visit! I love your pelican painting and the eyes are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy reading about your adventures and seeing how you work them into a sketch! Fantastic eyes too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you can keep the snake! hahaha What lovely photos of the wetlands. I absolutely LOVE pelicans. What a sweet illustration of them. And as I said on your IG....FAB painting of the eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. very pretty eyes :) the wetlands page is very green, but thats perfect for a page showing wetlands :0

    sad to see the downed tree, but it will provide homes for other things living there, so not all bad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely place for a walk. And your sketches are great! A legless lizard? Who knew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the eyes you sketched. :) And, we too have a legless lizzard/snake. It is copper colored ard the head differs from yours. It is beautiful :) I live in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete