Wednesday 19 March 2008

MY 100th POST.......and some painting talk

Yep.....my 100th blog post!!! I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all my wonderful readers who take time out of their busy days to visit my blog. It's nice to know that I'm not just prattling on to myself a lot of the time and I so appreciate your wonderful support.



Lily and Butterfly - © Serena Lewis
Acrylics - 24"x20" gallery-wrapped canvas
Click on image to enlarge


I've been neglecting my blog a little over the past couple of weeks due to being snowed under with commissions, art projects, family stuff and books. I painted this Lily and Butterfly canvas last week for my daughter's birthday. The lily is Michelle's favourite flower and, of course, she's always had a strong connection to butterflies. I chose the colour palette to match her home decor colours. This painting did not go without its dramas because, after painting the border, I noticed when I held it in a certain light it would sparkle.

A closer inspection revealed.......GLITTER!!! SCREAM! Aaron, my nine year old, often uses my spare art table to do his crafty stuff and, of course, glitter is a given. After my initial panic, I carefully cleaned off the spare table, put down a new tablecloth, re-painted the brown border and VOILA.......all done just in the nick of time. Phew!


I'm currently in the midst of working on my 'Pay It Forward' gifts as well as trying to make head-way with the Zebra painting. So far, I've managed to squeeze in some time to tone the canvas.

Mother and foal Work-In-Progress
Acrylics - 30"x24" Gallery-wrapped canvas
Click on image to enlarge



I'm quite stoked at the moment because, for the first year I can remember, my birthday actually falls on Easter Sunday! I don't know why I'm so stoked because I'm not into organised religion, however, I understand that it is also a Pagan holiday. I remember my brother's birthday used to always fall around Good Friday...his birthday is April 1st. I wonder why Easter has crept in earlier this year? Usually the kids have nearly two weeks off school at Easter time for their Autumn break but, this year, they will only have the Easter public holidays, then they will return to school for four days before they will get a week off for their Autumn break. That just feels weird to me.

Ah well, I'm off to get some painting done in the studio.

11 comments:

  1. YOur painting is just beautiful. I adore those lillies! Great to hear you have lots of commissions on. I'm practicing balancing my 'work' with play.
    happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Serena,
    Happy birthday for this coming Sunday! Congrats on your 100th post aswell!

    Your lily & butterfly painting is lovely :) I'm looking forward to seeing more of the zebra one too.

    I agree with this school holiday being strange !? Have a lovely Easter with your family,
    love
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the 100th post! :D

    Very nice painting, nice colours. Glitters great, just never sticks to what you want it to, and you walk around with glitter in your hair all day lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serena, Love the lily and butterfly...but I love all your paintings. Always so detailed and perfect.The Zebras are taking shape, they to will be amazing, no doubt about it....Ro

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a wonderful set of paintings. Were they for sale? haha

    By the way you alrady have 100 posts in 16 months time. Hope I can reach that far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Serena, I forgot to Congratulate you on your 100th post...Well done....Ro

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful...breathtaking really! The color is devine.
    Happy early B-day!!! Hope your day will be wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the lily and butterfly and can't wait to see that zebra finished! Happy 100th post!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is why Easter falls on different days every year:

    http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/qt/whyeasterchange.htm


    Hugs,
    becky
    www.illustratingforchildren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Easter comes directly from Ostara which was last thursday. It's a holiday to welcome Spring and fertility. Ostara was a goddess of those things. All the easter stuff- eggs, chicks, bunnies...all her symbols. So, Happy Ostara!! Your painting is wonderful...thank goodness you got the glitter out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. I so appreciate you taking the time to leave them.

    Thanks for the Easter info too, Becky and Jessica!

    ReplyDelete