Friday 20 May 2011

At last some pen sketches....and another self-portrait

GEEZ, it's friday already?! 
the days just seem to fly by lately.

i've been keeping busy with crochet, sketching and reading...

....and repairing our insinkerator waste disposal unit!
YEP....it's amazing what i have learned being a solo parent over the years.
last week, a glass fell off the drainer and shattered in the sink causing bits of glass to fall down into the waste disposal unit.  YIKES!  VERY carefully, i fished out what i could with my bare hand and, yes, i did get cut up a little and had glass splinters for days afterward BUT i couldn't just leave it in there.
pencil free sketch
using pigma micron pens in large moleskine sketchbook

after fishing out all the glass from the top section, the waste disposal just hummed and wouldn't work which meant some finer pieces of glass had obviously reached the innards of the unit under the sink.  OH NO!!  definitely NOT my level of expertise....or so i thought.  thank the heavens for GOOGLE!  after some research, i found a site that gave me some info on how to clear a jam within the unit itself.  it involved using a very large screwdriver which i used to manually crank the motor back and forth until i could turn it a full 360° freely.  i was SO relieved when i turned the waste disposal back on and it worked......YAY! it was a simple and effective fix that saved me a lot of money because i'm sure i would have paid quite a bit for a tradesman to come out and do the same thing. i have to say i was feeling quite proud of myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

recently, brad and i finished watching DVD episodes of 'the darling buds of may' which starred david jason, pam ferris and catherine zeta-jones to mention a few.  it was a TV series which first screened between 1991 and 1993 and followed the lives of the larkin family who ran a farm in kent, england.   the larkins are such a close-knit, caring, happy and fun family that they almost make you wish you were a part of them, hence the mention in my journal.
pencil free sketch
using pigma micron pens in large moleskine sketchbook

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm terrible for procrastinating on what subjects to sketch...so much so, that i waste time and end up not sketching anything at all.  so now i'm trying to just pick a subject and go with it before i talk myself out of it.  the belt below is the one i always wear with my jeans.  boy, oh boy, that braiding certainly had me confused but i managed to do okay in the end which proves that mistakes can be rectified when drawing directly with pen.
pencil free sketch
using pigma micron pens in large moleskine sketchbook

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

my self portrait (below) for week 19 was a bit of a fluke actually.  the bright morning sun was shining through my bedroom window which obviously confused the camera causing this ethereal effect.  i had no idea either that i was sitting centre of the window frame behind me.  it just all worked out without even trying.

in meditation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 i have some exciting news to tell but you will have to be patient as i have a sketch to do for it first.

so for now, i will leave you with a pic of cody...this time on my pillow which is one of his favourite places to be.  i love him so much.

it looks like we are going to be in for a rainy weekend....

...what's the weather looking like in your neck of the woods?

~ love, light and peace ~

15 comments:

  1. Your sketches never cease to amaze me! That belt sketch is fantastic!!

    Thanks for the info on The Darling Buds of May....I'm going to add it to my list on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Serena,

    Wow congrats on fixing your waste disposal in the kitchen. :)
    What would we do if we didn't have Google? LOL
    Love your sketches and the photo of you in meditation. Little Cody looks so cute in the photo too. :)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sketches are just out of this world. You are so good at what you do. I love how you sketched your disposal. That is so cool. Good news? I can hardly wait to hear about it. Cody is a darling little pie. I'd love to hug him. Very nice Serena as always and you look great. Have a great Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mikayla and IKEA, what could be better than that??? :)
    Very cool picture of you, Serena!!!
    I love how you just sit down and sketch everyday objects to include in your journals. Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting post. Your journal page reflects life as it is in this decade/century and will be a treasure for future generations. Your drawings are incredible and I really think is is amazing that you used a micron pen instead of pencil and got such a clear, concise image of the disposal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Serena!
    I love that you are just picking anything and sketching away! That belt is awesome, fullof detailed lines and oodles of texture! Nice job!

    Ciao Bella!

    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you fix things too!

    What a cuddly looking pup you have. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Serena!

    Thank you so much for the visit and comment you left on my blog.

    Love your sketches and well done with fixing that waste disposal thingie ... lol

    Cody is the cutest little woof woof and I can see why you love him so much because he is just adorable!

    I know exactly what you mean by procrastinating on what subjects to sketch. I have the exact same problem and then waste time without doing anything at all in the end. I found that by simply sketching what is in front of me does the trick most of the times.

    Have a lovely day!
    Ansota :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We call those garbage disposals up here--and you should be really proud of fixing that by yourself--whoohoo! Gotta love google!! ;)
    I checked and they have The Darling Buds Of May on Netflix and I ordered the series. Sounds good!
    Plaited belt! I'd never even attempt it! And you did a fantastic job--on all the sketches! :) And what a beautiful meditation photo of you, Lady! Gorgeous! You look so peaceful. :)
    Cody--he's such a little doll. Always love seeing pictures of him.
    Can hardly wait for your exciting news???!!!
    Sounds like we have the same weather. Rainy and cool. So glad you got out with Michelle and Mikayla and didn't get a migraine. Treats and Ikea sounds lovely. I have never been to an Ikea store, but I have heard nothing but great things about them.
    Best to you, Sweetie!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Serena, after our crazy storm on Tuesday, we have had dust. Yuck! My balconies are a mess and I just can't seem to keep up these days with anything. Your sketches are gorgeous no matter what you decide to draw. Wish I could do that. It is a nice feeling when you fix something on your own or figure out a problem. Cody is precious and I am sure he is a very good friend to you indeed! Best wishes for your day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmm the weather here is pretty grey :/
    very nice self portrait, the light works really well :)
    thats great that you fixed the waste disposal unit :D save money and learn a new skill :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great ink drawings Serena.

    Thanks for the congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sketching is amazing!!! I love the detail! Good for you fixing the garbage disposel!! Yikes!!!! We have had rain for weeks and today (finally) some sun!!! Happy PPF on Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sketches are fantastic. I love the way you draw here and write there by the whole page. It looks terrific

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am awed by your sketches they are so wonderful. Wonderful posts to go along with it. I too have the problem of thinking so hard about my art that sometimes nothing actually gets done. It happens with my blog too. I'm trying to do the same as you and am finding by giving it less thought my work actually improves. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and sketches
    Johnina

    ReplyDelete