Sunday 1 March 2015

Sketches and new fountain pens!

Aaron, my baby, reluctantly went on his first ever school camp.  The camp was mandatory and it was a case of GO, or don't get graded for Biology. It was only an overnight camp but I still worried about him nonetheless and we missed him. They weren't allowed to take mobile phones or electronic devices so there was no communication at all.  I was very glad when he arrived back, safe and sound. Did I mention that Aaron is now in Year 11 at high school? hehe  My other four range in age from 26 to 31. I can't help it...I worry about them too. 

Sitting in the car, awaiting the return of the Biology students from camp,
I sketched my thermo-coffee-mug.


The next day I sketched the shoes I bought to wear to my daughter's wedding. 
I walked her down the aisle in these babies back in 2010.


The finished sketch


Poor Mister Jack has had a terrible time of it with severe skin allergies over the past four months. I've had him to the vet numerous times.  They even took a blood sample to check for hormonal imbalances.  The results were clear, thankfully.  


The vet and I did a Sherlock Holmes and have narrowed it down to the neighbourhood cats.  You see, we have lived here for eight years without incident and I've never seen a flea on our dogs because I treat them regularly.   However, over the past four or five months, we've had a few new people move into the area bringing their cats with them. The problem is that their cats seem to love our yard and the vet feels that the cats may be dropping fleas.  It only takes one flea bite for a flea-allergic dog to have a severe reaction. Even though the flea/s will die and drop off because I treat Cody and Jack, it doesn't stop the allergic reaction.  Jack's body develops clusters of pimple-like lumps and pustules that look so red and sore.  They cause a lot of pain and itching which naturally he will scratch and bite at.  I feel so bad for him.


Don't get me wrong, I love ALL animals but I'm not too keen on irresponsible cat owners who allow their cats to roam freely, to not only wreak havoc on our native wildlife but also, to poop and drop fleas in other people's yards.  Early one evening at dusk, I looked out my window to see THREE cats lounging in our yard.  Another morning, one was stalking a bird in our yard which I promptly stopped. We are constantly shooing cats out of our yard! Not happy, Jan!! It's not fair and I make no apology for my rant!  I have spent a lot of money trying to rectify the ongoing damage their cats are causing my dog.  Poor Jack has been miserable and has suffered horribly.  He has scratched and bitten himself raw in areas to the point of bleeding and causing secondary infections.  He has lost large areas of fur and his overall body hair has thinned dramatically. He has been on three rounds of antibiotics and cortisone treatments which have given temporary relief only.  I hate to see him in so much discomfort.  At the vet's advice, I have now started him on Comfortis which is a monthly oral treatment recommended for dogs with flea allergy.  I pray it makes a difference.


Poor Jack is not amused either!
Lucky for you, he is showing off his good side,
the other side of his body and his rump look ghastly, poor thing.


___________________________________________________


On a happier note, my fountain pen collection is GROWING!!! 
From the top:
White LAMY Joy with EF nib; contains permanent black ink
Neon Coral LAMY Safari with 1.1 Italic nib; contains permanent black ink
Yellow LAMY Safari with EF nib; contains blue water soluble ink
Platinum Carbon Pen - very fine nib - contains permanent black ink
Aren't they BEAUTIFUL?!!!  

This week, I'm linking up with Sunday Sketches HERE.

27 comments:

  1. Poor Jack! Great sketch but a sad story. Hope he can find some comfort. And I'm a Lamy nut, too. Bought one for a workmate who showed fountain pen loving tendencies. She loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I hope we can beat this problem for Jack too. Always glad to meet another LAMY nut! lol I am already planning to buy more fountain pens. I just love them so much! I still remember the old fountain pen my Dad gave me back in my early teens. It had a bladder-fill inside. I knew nothing about fountain pens back then so I didn't appreciate its real worth. It's so nice to see them becoming very popular again. :)

      Delete
  2. Poor Jack! Great sketch but a sad story. Hope he can find some comfort. And I'm a Lamy nut, too. Bought one for a workmate who showed fountain pen loving tendencies. She loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor pups!!

    Don't apologize for ranting about cats that are let out. drives me nuts, and more so here since they are classed as wild animals so almost everyone lets them out :/ I like cats, but they are perfectly happy living inside and its much safer for them.and I am sick of getting woken up at 2 in the morning from some screaming queen that someone didn't spay and didn't want to listen to themselves. I could go on and on about it, people here think I am way in the wrong and am over reacting, that cats don't do harm....um tell that to the other animals and people that do get bit by cats. people just don't stop and think how much damage little fluffy is actually doing when they let it out :/ scottish wildcats are becoming extinct here, and one of the reasons is people not spaying/neutering their cats, they inter breed and then there are no pure wildcats :/ oops long comment :p

    and i don't think a trip should be mandatory, what happens if a kid suffers from extreme anxiety? not fair on the kid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't get me apologising, that's for sure. I'm so glad you understand, Jen. The unwanted cats in our yard are driving me crazy and I know they belong to people because they have collars on. It's a fact that cats have been domesticated by people and ARE perfectly happy to be indoors permanently. You make a good point that it's also safer for their cats indoors. My son has two adorable house cats and they don't NEED to be outdoors. Cats do so much harm to the native fauna...I watched a documentary-style program about it once. Some cat owners just don't seem to care. All I can hope is that these people and their cats don't stay long in our neighbourhood. Such a shame about the Scottish wildcats becoming extinct due to interbreeding. :(

      I totally agree with you regarding the school camp too. This is the first time I have come across one that was mandatory. I've never sent my kids on camps before as I don't see the necessity to them. I've always kept my kids home at those times and I was not happy that I was forced to send Aaron on this recent one just so he could get a grade on his report card. Aaron did not want to go either for numerous reasons, including nerves, and he was very relieved to get back. Next time, he won't be going, grade or no grade!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful sketches ~ and especially of sweet Jack ~ I send him (and you) healing LoVe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy Aaron arrived back home safe and sound! I bet he had a lot of things to share with you. :)
    Poor Jack! I really hope he gets better soon.
    Your sketches wonderful as always!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very glad to be back home, Norma, considering he didn't want to go in the first place. He hated it and declared he would never be going on another school camp again.

      We're still trying to get on top of Jack's allergy. It breaks my heart to see him so distressed at times.

      Hugs to you! xo

      Delete
  6. I love your shoes and I had to smile when I saw the coffee mug and read the note about waiting for your baby. I'm as well this kind of mother who was always nervously waiting for my son when he was young and glad when he arrived back, safe and sound. Now he is 31. I hope Jack will get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 31 year old son, turning 32 this year, too. No matter what ages they are, I think we will still worry over them. lol

      Glad you like the sketches. :)

      Delete
  7. Poor Jack! I hope the meds help him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sketches... Our German Shepherd has the same problem. Our vet calls them hot spots. Their just awful. We certainly know what Jack is going through.:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. Yes, 'hot spots' are what they call the areas that become inflamed....your German Shepherd has my sympathy too, poor thing. It's a horrible condition to deal with. :(

      Delete
  9. I think it's unfair to force kids into any kind of after school activity--especially anything that requires them to be away overnight. As an option, fine. But to make it a requirement seems ridiculous to me. I'm glad Aaron is home and done with it.

    Poor Jack! So it is probably flea bites! I hope the new meds will work.

    You know how I love cats, but I do not see the purpose in letting a cat outside. When I was young that's what everybody did (but that was almost 60 years ago). Our cat got run over by a car in the street! It is dangerous for the cats and that is where they pick up fleas and parasites and get in fights and injured. Cats don't have to roam about outside. They've been domesticated for thousands of years, for goodness sakes. I know there are people who totally disagree, but I agree with you...totally!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree that school camps should not be mandatory. It's the first camp I've ever known that was stipulated as mandatory and then to tell a child they will not get a grade for the subject is just not fair at all. There is a whole semester of learning in that subject so there is lots of other things a student can be graded on.

      Exactly! They are doing their cats more harm than good by letting them roam free because it is putting them at risk in numerous ways. I also feel that if dog owners must keep their dogs in their own yards why should it be any different for cat owners? Fair is fair. I am so upset to see this happen to Jack. I am considering putting even more money out to get our yard treated for fleas but the problem is that the cats will come back and drop more fleas. :(

      Delete
  10. PS
    The only cats that do okay being wild and staying outside all the time are the barn cats on the farms. But they usually stick pretty much around their own farm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are a wonderful sketcher!
    your wedding shoes came out gorgeous.
    i have that last pen and do enjoy it.
    lovely to see what you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammie Lee. I love the Platinum Carbon Pen....it writes/sketches like a dream!

      Delete
  12. Great to see you here. LOVE your sketches and the stories that go with them. Sending good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Gemma...and for the lovely comment too. xx

      Delete
  13. Oh I feel so sorry for Jack. No I am sure he is not a happy bunny at present. I hope the latest treatment will work for him. I am forever shooing cats from my garden because they get the little birds. I love cats but certainly don't like their hunting trait.
    Your sketches are beautiful as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Shashi. Yes, cats are beautiful....it's irresponsible owners I really have issue with. :( Thanks for your kind comment. xx

      Delete
  14. I can so relate to still worrying even when the kids grow up! Our son who is now 18, has just started driving and that is always a worry! And our daughter is 23 and has her own baby - so now I worry not just about her but the the new one too, even though she is a fabulous Mum and he's not my baby! It must just be an instinctive Motherhood thing... Anyway, poor Jack!! He looks very sorry for himself. Yes, I always wonder too about the fact that cats get to poo where they like, yet can you imagine letting the dog on to the neighbours lawn and allowing it to leave a parting gift??? Of course it wouldn't go down at all well and rightly so - but then again, where is the difference? As for all of your sketches... sigh... they are wonderful! I particularly love those shoes - I have a pair just like them! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes, Sandra...I don't think we ever stop worrying over our kids/grand-kids.

      Exactly, there should be no difference when it comes to dogs and cats being allowed to roam into neighbour's yards. The whole cat thing gets me riled because it's just so unfair, especially when Jack is suffering so badly.

      How neat that you have a pair of shoes just like mine! :)

      Delete
  15. Lovely sketches and pens and yes, I still worry about my 19 year old and 22 year old kids. The time will come when they worry about you from what I understand.

    ReplyDelete