Thursday 20 July 2017

Scribble Picnic: Ladybird

I'm running behind schedule for this week's Scribble Picnic. YIKES! 

Michael chose the theme - LADYBIRD/LADYBUG.

Being from British and Irish background, we were brought up calling these delightful insects, Ladybirds.  If ever we were lucky enough to have one land on us, we would say the rhyme -

Ladybird, Ladybird,
Fly away home,
Your house is on fire,
And your children will burn.

Miraculously, the said Ladybird would usually fly away, as if on cue.

There was a another popular ending where all of her children perished except for one called Ann. I preferred the version where the little Ladybird still had a chance to save all her little ones.

For the past week, all I could see in my mind's eye, was a realistic ladybird to draw for the theme until yesterday when an idea suddenly popped into my head.

A little girl lying in the grass and having a ladybird land on her nose. She was delighted, of course. I am thoroughly enjoying the process of sketching what I see in my head. I don't get it exact but it's fun trying.

As I ran out of time, you only get the rough pencil sketch version for now but I promise to finish her off and post the end result next week.


I'm excited to see what my fellow Picnickers have come up with for this week's theme. You can check them out HERE.

Next week's theme is CURTAIN. Why not come along to one of our 'picnics' and join in on the fun. To find out how, click HERE.  Hope to see you there.

I did do another Ladybird last year when I did a month of calendar sketches. I thought you might like to see it.


Here is the relevant post if you are interested in checking it out - Click HERE.

14 comments:

  1. super cute idea! I like it. I hope you'll continue working on it.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both your ladybird renditions here and will look forward to see the first piece coloured!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute :) looking forward to see what you do with it. love her pigtails :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute idea!! You really seem to be having fun with these challenges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little girl is so adorable, trying to see that ladybug. Such a cute idea to feature the theme this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HaHa...what a darling sketch. When something lands on your nose...you eyes just have to cross!!!! I hope you will complete it in color. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just LOVE the characters you create in your sketchbook... Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find your little girl to be fun and cute.
    Your older sketch is very nice too.
    Wishing you a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that calendar ladybird is super well done adn the sketch pormises to be adorable. It definitely bring a smile of cheer to my face as I write this! Looking forward to seeing it completed but what you have here is perfectly great.

    Thank you, Serena. You know, Latane in VA mentioned the American version of this rhyme adn I never remember saying it with Ladybird or bug in England. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will look forward to see the little girl completed - so adorable Serena.
    As for that calendar - awesome, stunning - a really beautiful thing to keep forever no matter the year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sketch is very cute and I know it will be wonderful when complete. The calendar fascinates me. The drawings are all so detailed and in such a small space. What a great way to challenge yourself to be creative every day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ladybirds are very unique no doubt. And your drawing is simple yet lovely. I like the childhood story too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute idea and little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute sketch I am enjoying your scribble picnic sketches. They are full of humour

    ReplyDelete