Friday 13 May 2022

a bittersweet mother's day for me

 
Firstly, I hope you all had a lovely Mother's Day! 
 
I did a rough sketch of the Mother's Day flowers Beau bought me. Sorry the pic is blurry...bad lighting at night.
 
I made my own style of laksa with noodles for lunch — tofu and veggies with a Thai red curry base. It was delicious!

All in all, I had a fairly hectic Mother's Day with a few different things going on but it was nice. However, it did end on a very sad note when we found out my daughter's doggy passed away. It was devastating for Michelle and her family. Abbey was dearly loved and will be deeply missed.  
 
**********
 
It's been a very wet week with lots of rain and, sadly, it caused flooding in areas that copped flooding less than three months ago. The farm animal sanctuary I support —  Happily Heifer After — have been flooded for the second time with 80 to 90% of their property under water again. Michelle and Hugh are an amazing couple who we met when we visited the sanctuary in November 2020. My heart goes out to them as they struggle against the odds. Luckily, they managed to get their 80-plus animals to higher ground for now, under the cover of temporary tarps, but it's dire straits and another major clean up will be needed when the waters recede.  Last time, they organised a volunteer working bee. I wish I could help but my hands cause me pain all the time. A financial donation will have to do. I pray they all stay safe.
 
I've been doing a lot of reading as I can't work for too long at my art desk with my neck still recovering from the fall I had. I plan on getting back to doing some book reviews starting Tuesday so stay tuned for that. As well as my Mother's Day flowers, I did a simple pencil sketch of part of my ZZ plant. I do plan on adding some colour so it's a work-in-progress for now.

And that's IF Kya will allow it. She does not like me at my workspace and, most times, will plant herself right on my desk. Naughty kitty!

On that note, I will bid you all goodnight...

Love, Light and Peace

11 comments:

  1. Nice to catch up with you Serena take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see you. I know that fall was a bad one but glad it is getting a bit better. I love the flowers and the photo is not blurry to me. So sorry about the doggy passing. It is very hard on the heart. You food looks so good. I have opened up Friday Face Off. I know how wonderful your portraits are. I hope you join in. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of your daughter's loss. On Mother's Day at that. And hopefully your neck will be feeling better so you can make some art, but I must admit, I am a reading fiend also. You can't go wrong with any good book. I'll be looking forward to your book review as I love reading about books. Have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear your daughter's furry family member passed away
    get some tuna to tempt Kya off the desk lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Mum! I love the sketch of the flowers Beau bought you. Yes, that laksa was definitely very delicious! Glad you had a nice Mother’s Day despite it ending up being hectic. It is really sad that Abbey passed away that day. I feel sad for Michelle and her family. She will be missed for sure.

    Terrible that Happily Heifer After are having to deal with all this rain while also caring for all their animals. We can only hope for the best for them and that this rain doesn’t last. Looking forward to reading some of your book reviews! Hopefully your neck gets better soon as I know you’re looking forward to spending more time at your art desk! Great sketch of your ZZ plant! Looking forward to seeing it when it’s finished! LOL! Oh, Kya! She would much rather the attention be on her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sketch of your flowers for Mother's Day.
    Sorry to hear about Michelle's dog and the rescue sanctuary!
    Kya--so funny! Cats are not shy about wanting attention. Even shy Annie once she bonded with me--that came out with her, too. She doesn't like me writing letters in my chair when she wants to snuggle and get some attention. Cats! ;)
    Have a really good week, Serena. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine - Thanks. x

    Nicole - Thanks. I will check out your Friday Face-Off. Thanks for the invite.

    Jen - Thanks. Unfortunately, Kya would devour the tuna and be back on the desk if she sees me there. Crazy cat. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Brad. I'm happy that both you and Beau love my laksa. Yes, I still feel bad for Michelle, Alex and the girls. The healing will take time.

    Let's hope Happily Heifer After ends up finding a property that doesn't flood. It's devastating for them.

    I hope my neck gets better soon too. It's bad enough dealing with back and hand pain.

    Love Mum xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rita - Thanks! Definitely — Kya is very demanding when she wants my attention on her and her alone. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always so sad to lose a pet - they are truly members of a family. I love your sketch - anything you draw is amazing. Sounds touch for that Animal rescue place - all that flooding. Love the cat photo! Take care and hope your neck heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about Michelle's dog and the sanctuary's flooding issues. But glad to see you posting.

    ReplyDelete