Sunday 7 October 2012

Day 7 - Pelican - Blogtoberfest

It was another scorcher today!!

I decided to clip my dog, Cody, with the new, but dirt-cheap, trimmers I bought online a few weeks back. Let me just say that, in this case, I got what I paid for. They wouldn't even cut Cody's fur! They kept jamming up from the get-go even though I'd followed the instructions to the letter.  Needless to say, I was not happy and had to resort to Cody's usual scissor-trim which I was not in the mood for, considering the hot day.  I had bought the trimmers to make it easier on my hands as the scissors tend to cause arthritis flare-ups.  I also wasn't impressed that the so-called bottle of oil they included in the kit was totally empty and looked like it had never seen a drop of oil in its life. Beau gave me his trimmer oil to use before I discovered how useless the trimmers were.  Ah well, a lesson learned but at least Cody is happy to be rid of all his fur.

Below are a few pics of lantana flowers growing near the creek close to where we live.
Hard to believe that these beauties are considered a noxious weed here.
The lantana flower always makes me think of a mandala.


I sketched this 'lantana manala' last November


My pen/ink sketch today is of one of my top three favourite birds.

A pelican!


68 more pen/ink sketches to go!!

Do you have a favourite bird??


~ Love, light and peace ~

21 comments:

  1. we dont have lantana here - its soo pretty!

    Pelicans - we have them over here and they perch on the high lights over the freeway..so funny to see them up so high! I think they like the warmth from the lights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps does the lantana have a perfume to it?

      krissie again!

      Delete
    2. The flowers are very pretty though the bush itself can look very wild it it spreads fast too which if probably why it's classified as a weed here. Lantana is stinky! lol Well, it's a rather pungent odour...some like it, some don't.

      OH yes, the pelicans love to rest up high on the lamp posts at the bay-side areas we visit. They either like the warmth of the lights or they like to take in the sights. lol

      Delete
  2. The lantana is gorgeous...I love the various colours and shades all in one blossom stalk. Yes, I love the pelican too...we don't have any with us here but love watching them when we travel south. They're such characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pelicans sure have character, especially when there's food around.

      Delete
  3. harpy eagles are my favourite birds, gorgeous creatures :)

    when i think of pelicans, i think of the video of one eating a pigeon, was very odd to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW...I've never seen a pelican eat a pigeon, thank goodness.

      Delete
  4. Love the feathers and the bill. What a good drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'd send you the link of the pelican and the pigeon, but its very odd to see and some people get a little freaked out by it (no blood or anything like that)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I'd prefer not to see it...don't want it turning me off pelicans. ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm so jealous you are into spring and we're losing our flowers here! :))
    I love lantana and you sketch is terrific!! great colors, great photos. Keep them coming Serena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran! I'm noticing a lot of plants sprouting new growth...love it!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely Lantana sketch! I just love this flower too! I love all birds (even the ugly ones), but I am totally smitten by little painted buntings! I am awaiting their arrival here in south Florida and to my feeder...every minute now, I am on the watch for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I love all birds too...even the ugly ones and the ones most people view as pests. Enjoy those painted buntings! xo

      Delete
  8. I'd never thought of the mandala connection, but you're absolutely right. I loved your lantana sketch.
    And Mr Pelican is very handsome too.
    Clever you.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Serena:) I love the lantana sketch. Beautiful colors. Your pelican is also very nice. I love them too because of their big beak. My favorite bird is my very own parrot Pino:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renate! I'm sure Pino gets spoiled rotten...parrots are so clever!

      Delete
  10. I remember that sketch and those pretty flowers that are considered pesky weeds! Beautiful!

    The pelican sketch is great. I remember them from trips to Florida when I was a kid. They seemed so comical to me. Now you have me wondering what your other two favorites are? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita. My other two favourites are the fairy wren and the kingfisher, however, I do love all birds...well, ALL animals, if it comes down to the grand scheme of things. Did you know the kookaburra is the largest bird in the Kingfisher family?

      Delete